3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Hard starting except first start of day; fuel smell

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2011, 11:16 AM
DodgeArmyGuy
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hard starting except first start of day; fuel smell

I have perused the threads and everything seems to point to cleaning/replacing the EGR valve first to start. I want to confirm with all my symptoms before I do that even though I probably will do it anyway seeing as there are 61,000 miles on the truck.

Truck is a 2005 RAM 1500 with 5.7L Hemi purchased in 2006. Prior to deploying to Iraq in 2006, the engine would be difficult to start after the initial start of the day. Sometimes CEL came on but would go back off. While I was deployed my wife had the pleasure of convincing the Dodge dealership something was wrong (considering still under warranty!). Cleaned throttle body, no codes were stored in CEL. Finally when light came back on she took it immediately in and they diagnosed EGR. They replaced in accordance with the warranty.

Fast forward to 2011. Truck has the same problems. It will turn over like a new truck first thing in the morning or if stopped for a quick run into a store and back out. However, if it sits for any length of time in between (other than overnight!) it takes a lot of cussing to get it started. Not really but you get the idea. It does start. There is a strong smell of unburnt fuel after this happens.

My plan is to first remove and clean the EGR. I guess I should ask: If this doesn't work should I invest the $39.99 at Autozone to buy a new one? If cleaning/replacing the EGR fails to fix the problem what sensor/component should I look at next?

Thanks!

Ed
now the DodgeRetiredArmyGuy, well since 2009.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:23 PM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

I have an 02 with 4.7 & it was my fuel injectors leaking into cylinders. I had motor rebuilt for other reasons & new injectors as well.

Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 PM
DodgeArmyGuy

I am pretty sure it is not the injectors leaking. I am disappointed that no one on here who has experience got back to me. Perhaps a different Dodge Forum would help? I will go with my assumptions and thanks at least for your reply.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:44 PM
lxman1
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Try pushing the gas pedal down a little when it won't start. The Throttlebody may be dirty again and the blade may be sticking shut.

Old 11-04-2011, 12:28 PM
DodgeArmyGuy

Thanks. I did clean the throttle body on one side. I didn't remove it completely though and I should have when I did the spark plugs last weekend. I did remove the EGR valve today and clean it then put it back on. Getting ready to take it for a ride and see what happens.

Old 11-06-2011, 09:39 PM
sbsga
Professional

Is this something that happens every day? or every once in a while?

Old 11-08-2011, 08:35 PM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

Did you figure out the issue?

Old 11-10-2011, 02:21 PM
Duroc
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeArmyGuy
Thanks. I did clean the throttle body on one side. I didn't remove it completely though and I should have when I did the spark plugs last weekend. I did remove the EGR valve today and clean it then put it back on. Getting ready to take it for a ride and see what happens.
Cleaning on one side is definately not effective. Its the inside that gets dirty and removal of the throttle body is necessary to clean it. I doubt that it is the reason for hard starts but possible I guess.

Old 11-14-2011, 03:07 PM
DodgeArmyGuy

I reinstalled the EGR after soaking it in cleaner for a few hours and using a bottle brush to clean the inside. It didn't work it appears as the truck is still hard to start after it has ran for a bit or the day. My next step is to buy a new EGR valve and try that. @SBSGA - Yes it happens everyday. It does not happen the first start of the day. It is as I described in my original post.

Old 11-15-2011, 07:34 AM
EvlKenevl
Rookie

Originally Posted by EvlKenevl
I have an 02 with 4.7 & it was my fuel injectors leaking into cylinders. I had motor rebuilt for other reasons & new injectors as well.
If your motor is cold & flooded it will start, hot &flooded it will need to turn over to clear the unspent gas. Spend a little $ on 1 injector & swap out each until you find the bad 1.

Quick Reply: Hard starting except first start of day; fuel smell