3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lights go on, Radio hits static..

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Cdaddydodge
Rookie
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lights go on, Radio hits static..

Once i installed the ballast in my passenger headlamp my Radio (FM) goes wonky (Static) i can still here it but it is not clear. I turn OFF my lights and it goes back to being clear again. Unfortunately i had to install the antenna my way (which worked), but it worked fine until that ballast install.

So to make this a little more clear for some:

Lights go on, Radio tunes fuzzy
Lights go off, Radio tunes clear

FM Radio.

Tips are appreciated, cheers!

Old 07-10-2012, 11:07 PM
Dead2Fall
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cdaddydodge
Once i installed the ballast in my passenger headlamp my Radio (FM) goes wonky (Static) i can still here it but it is not clear. I turn OFF my lights and it goes back to being clear again. Unfortunately i had to install the antenna my way (which worked), but it worked fine until that ballast install.

So to make this a little more clear for some:

Lights go on, Radio tunes fuzzy
Lights go off, Radio tunes clear

FM Radio.

Tips are appreciated, cheers!
Something grounded funny somwhere?And what exactly is "your way"?

Old 07-11-2012, 02:06 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

When you say ballast I assume you are talking about HIDs. Remember that a ballast is a high energy power supply that will give off EMI/EFI

You can try shielding them will copper foil or even grounding them better but its not uncommon to see guys getting static in their radio signals from HID ballasts.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:36 AM
nateroach
Veteran

^^
what weed said. HIDs use very high voltage to strike and arc to create the light source (somewhat similar to neon or fluorescent lights). The downside of having high voltage ballasts is that they generate a good bit of EMF. normally this isn't that big of an issue, until you stick and emf detector (FM radio) right next to it.

you can try to isolate it with shielding your antenna and putting rubber washers under the ballast, see if that works.

Old 07-21-2012, 12:19 AM
Cdaddydodge
Rookie

If it gets nice tomorrow i will take pics of what i did and thank you very much for the tips guys, i had no idea. I stuck the ballast to the rear of the headlamp with 2 sided tape. All nice and neat. The ballasts are for my angel eye lights, now, i only replaced the one with what i bought offa ebay and left the other one alone. I do have the other one and thought about installing it as well.

My Antenna on the other hand is a mess due to my new stereo i bought. The factory antenna does not fit and i did the following...

Found an old antenna from my XM radio i had yrs ago and hooked that up. Ran the wire to the passenger door through the weather guard and it is sitting on the roof ( magnetic of course). If i can find an adapter then i will reinstall it.

Pics up tomorrow. Cheers!!

Last edited by Cdaddydodge; 07-21-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 06:41 AM
loflyer2
Professional

There are adapters that will allow your new radio to plug into your factory antenna system. You didn't mention exactly what the problem was with the antenna, but go to ebay and look for "chrysler radio antenna adapter" as a start to get some ideas. You will have several options. The antenna connector that goes to the back of the radio is really just a "pig tail" about 8 inches long. Crutchfield is a great source for this info also.

Old 07-21-2012, 10:35 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheap HID ballasts cause this problem. Try wrapping the ballasts with aluminum foil(like 5 or 6 complete wraps and then tape it up AND/OR try to mount the ballasts in a different location.
Those 2 remedies will help. Or you could just buy a better HID kit.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:17 AM
Cdaddydodge
Rookie

Ok so since this thread and my attempt to look in to it..Everything seems to be ok now...strange right? Well i looked at the ballast and my 2 sided tape didn't hold and it is dangling now. Radio works great! So i'll let it hang...lol Thanks for the info and will still keep it in mind and bookmarked!

Old 08-18-2012, 10:05 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

What made you think two side velcro tape under the truck was going to hold up anyway? All that wind, vibrations, dirt, water, ect.......

Youre lucky you didnt lose it going down the road. Use some self tapping screws and put it back in place.

Quick Reply: Lights go on, Radio hits static..