3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Warped ROTORS

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2005, 03:45 PM
IS_THAT_A_HEMI
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warped ROTORS

Well I heard rumors about Dodge Ram Rotor warping... Its not a rumor anymore, it happened to me. My 04' Ram Hemi with just 8K miles started vibrating whenever I applied the brakes... Mostly you could feel the vibrating in the steering wheel. So took it into my local dealer and they confirmed the rotors were warped. So they had to special order the rotors. Well they are gonna replace the crappy rotors with more crappy rotors. But I figure, its free and I am gonna get everything I can out of the warranty. If it happens again then I will go after market.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:13 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Warped ROTORS

I am almost at 19K and just started to feel a little wobble in them. I've read, but don't know how true it is, that wheel nut torque is critical to helping prevent the warping problem.

Old 07-30-2005, 06:50 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Yes the wheel nut torque is critical. If you have a torque wrench, use it and do so equally in a star pattern. Also, hard braking, especially after/before standing water will eventually do it. The rotors are constantly being subject to extreme temperature swings from hot to cold.

Old 07-31-2005, 11:24 AM
moparturd
Banned

I can't recall what the torque recommendation was though. It was changed from what was in the manual.[&:]

Old 07-31-2005, 11:52 PM
silverbullet2

I have an 03 quad 4x4 and here is my story....

7k, felt the shaking... took it in and they replaced the front rotors- no charge

12k, felt it again, took it in and they replaced the rear- no charge

26k, took it in, they replaced the front and rear- charged me almost 200 to replace all of them since it was past the 12k warranty period on brakes.

Dodge warranties suck severe ***. I had the 8 year on it... i cashed back in and will sell this ram as soon as i can. I have never had a problem with warranties like this ever before. Dodge has lost all of my money and support as far as this is concerned.

The funny thing, is when i called dodge, and told them about the situation before i went to pick up my truck, they said not to pay for it. Just tell them i want my truck back and leave. Of course, someone worked on the truck, so i feel i should at least have to pay something... but 200 bucks for rotors and stuff, bs. I have a conscience, so i just paid it, cancelled my warranty the same day, and told the dealership manager that i would never return and i would tell everyone i know to never use their dealership again as long as they are there.

Chesterfield Dodge sucks. I dont know if this is everywhere, but in all honesty, if dodge doesnt help me better than telling me to just not pay for it, then they are in bed with them just as bad. BBB heard from me and now you guys will to. Do not shop at Chesterfield Dodge in Virginia. THEY SUCK.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:04 AM
moparturd
Banned

If that was the only issue with the truck, I'd have put some aftermarket rotors on it. But that's just me.

Sorry to hear of your experiences with Chesterfield Dodge.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:31 AM
silverbullet2

I did, because it happened to me about a thousand miles ago again. Only, this time, they didnt touch my truck. I did it.. and i replaced them with ceramic pads and nice rotors.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:33 AM
moparturd
Banned

How's that working out for you so far? What brand did you decide to go with?

Old 08-01-2005, 12:51 AM
silverbullet2

Working out great. I went with bendix rotors since the ones i got had great reviews, and the pads i got from advanced auto. Not sure of the name brand, however, let me tell ya, no brake dust is a beautiful thing. Easy to keep the truck clean, well, except for the trees and stuff dropping shiz on the top of it.

Old 08-01-2005, 12:59 AM
moparturd
Banned

Hahaha. Glad to hear it's working out. That's probably what I'll do after I turn these rotors once. I've heard the ceramics are a great pad, especially for people who hate wiping down their wheels every day like me.

Quick Reply: Warped ROTORS