3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

blinker issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2011, 09:15 PM
shorty24v
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default blinker issue

My grandfather recently bought a 2002 1500 quad cab and when he turns on his left blinker the "lamp out" light comes on. It's is the rear left blinker that is not working, but the same bulb works fine when we hit the brakes or turn on the lights (I forgot which it is) So that bulb doesn't work only when it need to blink, I switched the bulbs around and still no blinker, any ideas?

Old 11-26-2011, 09:27 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

They have a history of the sockets failing. I think the circuit boards are not ferociously expensive, even from the dealer. Another option is a pick 'n' pull or aftermarket assemblies.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:40 PM
shorty24v
Captain

Ok thanks, that's what he was planning on doing, I was just checking to see if it was a simple fix before he went and spent money.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:46 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the flashers work? That'd eliminate a bad wire. Maybe even swap relay and flasher out before going crazy on more expensive parts

Old 11-26-2011, 09:57 PM
shorty24v
Captain

Nope, the flashers don't work in that light either, I forgot to ad the in the post.

Old 11-26-2011, 10:39 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

I'd swap out the flashers n relays first then work your way back

Old 11-26-2011, 11:08 PM
MikeHTally
Champion

The flasher may not be so easy to access. It's probably in the instrument cluster.

Old 11-27-2011, 03:30 AM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Originally Posted by MikeHTally
The flasher may not be so easy to access. It's probably in the instrument cluster.
Yup, I'm pretty sure we all have an 'electronic flasher' which is built in to the instrument cluster.

Both the red bulbs in the tail lights (and also the front markers) are dual filament bulbs. So one filament will light for tail light operations, and they both light for the turn signal (or brake depending on which bulb assembly). So if you swapped the left bulb out with the bulb in the right tail light and the symptoms stayed the same on the left side it's very likely going to be the circuit board assembly in the tail light, (which is a pretty common problem) The easiest way to test it since you already have the tail light out is to use a test light or a voltage detector to check for the correct voltage at the connector plug. I'll see if I can find the pin out diagram for it....

Here ya go! You'll want to test pin #5 for the blinker voltage, a test light would be better for this because the voltage will constantly be switching between 12volts and 0, some digital multimeters take too long to update when it's changing all the time (my cheap one does anyways)

Name:  Taillightpinout.jpg
Views: 19
Size:  25.6 KB

Last edited by Caseys-dodge; 11-27-2011 at 03:42 AM.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:15 AM
shorty24v
Captain

Originally Posted by Caseys-dodge
Yup, I'm pretty sure we all have an 'electronic flasher' which is built in to the instrument cluster.

Both the red bulbs in the tail lights (and also the front markers) are dual filament bulbs. So one filament will light for tail light operations, and they both light for the turn signal (or brake depending on which bulb assembly). So if you swapped the left bulb out with the bulb in the right tail light and the symptoms stayed the same on the left side it's very likely going to be the circuit board assembly in the tail light, (which is a pretty common problem) The easiest way to test it since you already have the tail light out is to use a test light or a voltage detector to check for the correct voltage at the connector plug. I'll see if I can find the pin out diagram for it....

Here ya go! You'll want to test pin #5 for the blinker voltage, a test light would be better for this because the voltage will constantly be switching between 12volts and 0, some digital multimeters take too long to update when it's changing all the time (my cheap one does anyways)
\
Ok thanks for the info.

Quick Reply: blinker issue