3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff and tranny service questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2011, 11:22 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone confirm the front and rear diff fluid capacities for me? If i but something with lsd additive in it, should it be enough, by volume, to meet spec (4 oz i think)?

Old 12-12-2011, 08:29 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Store computer says I need 2 and some odd quarts of fluid, front and rear. Enough that I need to buy 3 of each. Anyway, I'm considering royal purple or mobil 1. One of the mobil 1's is considerably cheaper where the other is priced about the same as the RP. The RP is gonna be about 20 bucks a quart, with tax, for both front and back. If these say they have LS additive, how do I know how much? Or should I spend another 8 bucks and just add more additive?

Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM
Cooljay12
Amateur

Permatex makes a GREAT 1 minute gasket maker. Having used this stuff a few times for transmission and diff services, I have never had a problem and highly recommend it.

Once you've changed and replaced the fluid, slowly drive the truck in figure 8's. If you feel some chatter then you should add half a bottle of additive. This is what I recently read-don't remember where, maybe here.... I just did mine again for a 30K service, and switched from Mobile 1 to AMSoil. I have not needed to add the additive.

For what it is worth, I replaced all my fluids, front/rear diff, transmission, transfer case with AMSoil and have since noticed a much smoother difference, especially when putting the truck into gear, and shifting throughout all RPM's.

Old 12-15-2011, 06:37 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Yeh, familiar with Amsoil. Used their fluids exclusively in my bike when I owned it. Definitely has a rep for smoothing things out. I haven't found anyone around here that sells it though. Looks like my options are Walmart brand (NOT), Royal Purple, or Mobile 1. I think I did see some LucasOil products at one store.

I realize Permatex makes good gasket maker, but it comes in blue, grey, and red, best I can tell. But someone also mentioned black. I don't see any RTV in black. I see Permatex Silicone in clear and Black, but it doesn't say RTV.

Quick Reply: Diff and tranny service questions