3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Diff and tranny service questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 11:42 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Diff and tranny service questions

I'll start with the diff service. Neither of mine have been done and I'm just over 90k miles. Is it time? Probably past time right?

Anyway, I found the DIY thread (link below) for the rear diff. I couldn't find one for the front. Is the procedure the same or similar?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-tutorial.html

I'm reposting a pic of my glovebox label. Hard to read but it was the best I could get. I don't believe I have the LSD. Does it even really matter? I've been following some thread discussion about friction modifiers. I may get 8 different answers, but what kind of fluid and weight would you all recommend? 3.92 gear non-LSD. Would I use the same stuff up front?

Name:  2010-02-11114053.jpg
Views: 127
Size:  6.6 KB

The DIY thread mentions checking a gasket, if there is one. Should I have one or not? If not, do I use something in a tube when putting back together?

Anyone have the torque specs for the diff bolts and filler bolt?

Tranny:

I drained and filled a tranny in a chevy car I once owned but it was a long time ago. I'm not finding a DIY for it on here. Seems I remember a procedure, after refilling the tranny, that involved putting the vehicle in drive, then in neutral, etc. Can someone summarize the procedure for me?

Also, some recommendations on tranny fluid would be appreciated as well. I've been running synthetic oil for the last 20k miles or so and am fine with going synthetic on the tranny and/or diffs as well.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:19 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
I'll start with the diff service. Neither of mine have been done and I'm just over 90k miles. Is it time? Probably past time right?

Anyway, I found the DIY thread (link below) for the rear diff. I couldn't find one for the front. Is the procedure the same or similar?

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...-tutorial.html

I'm reposting a pic of my glovebox label. Hard to read but it was the best I could get. I don't believe I have the LSD. Does it even really matter? I've been following some thread discussion about friction modifiers. I may get 8 different answers, but what kind of fluid and weight would you all recommend? 3.92 gear non-LSD. Would I use the same stuff up front?

The DIY thread mentions checking a gasket, if there is one. Should I have one or not? If not, do I use something in a tube when putting back together?

Anyone have the torque specs for the diff bolts and filler bolt?

Tranny:

I drained and filled a tranny in a chevy car I once owned but it was a long time ago. I'm not finding a DIY for it on here. Seems I remember a procedure, after refilling the tranny, that involved putting the vehicle in drive, then in neutral, etc. Can someone summarize the procedure for me?

Also, some recommendations on tranny fluid would be appreciated as well. I've been running synthetic oil for the last 20k miles or so and am fine with going synthetic on the tranny and/or diffs as well.
For the diffs, I use RTV gasket maker and I think you'll find old RTV you'll have to scrap off and clean from the factory. But yeah, at 90k you are a bit overdue. I think the "book" calls for 75w-90 in the rear and 75w-140 in the front - synthetic.

I change the rear in mine with conventional because Auburn cautions that the unit may not function properly with synthetic. Because I use "dino" oil I change it at 15k miles and use Lucas 80w-90.
I use Royal Purple in the front (75w-140) and change it every 30k miles (every other rear lube change). Maybe a little over-kill, but I have aftermarket gears and I just like to keep an eye on them.

As far as the tranny goes, I just got tired of typing, so here:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4487023_chan...uid-dodge.html

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-07-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 12:39 PM
HemiLonestar
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

75W-140 plus additive if you have LSD in 9.25 rear.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:44 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Thanks for the input so far. So, is the front diff any more difficult to get it or do or is it basically just like the DIY for the rear?

Old 12-07-2011, 02:42 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

same as rear. There are no gaskets for the trans or diff covers BTW. The manufacture and we use RTV

Old 12-07-2011, 03:01 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Any special cleaner I should use to get the old RTV off or will most any solvent help take it off? I hate to get everything pulled apart and nobody else is home and I can't go to the store and get what I need. I assume RTV is something you can pick up at any auto parts box store?

Old 12-07-2011, 03:07 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

You can get RTV at any auto parts store. I use Loctite Gasket Remover to get mine off. Come in an aerosol can. Be careful, it WILL burn your skin and make you cough.

Old 12-07-2011, 03:26 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
I think the "book" calls for 75w-90 in the rear and 75w-140 in the front - synthetic.

I change the rear in mine with conventional because Auburn cautions that the unit may not function properly with synthetic. Because I use "dino" oil I change it at 15k miles and use Lucas 80w-90.
I use Royal Purple in the front (75w-140) and change it every 30k miles (every other rear lube change).
Hammer, I just consulted my manual and I think you may have it backwards, but please check me if I am wrong.

It says GL-5 SAE 75w-90 for the front, Synthetic SAE 75w-140 in the rear.

Also, I can't find where it tells me the capacity. Can someone help me with that - front and rear?

Old 12-07-2011, 05:38 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 04HemiGreg
Hammer, I just consulted my manual and I think you may have it backwards, but please check me if I am wrong.

It says GL-5 SAE 75w-90 for the front, Synthetic SAE 75w-140 in the rear.

Also, I can't find where it tells me the capacity. Can someone help me with that - front and rear?

Yeah, I think I did get it bass ackwards, I just walked out to the garage and my Lucas conventional is 85w-140 Heavy Duty. I don't have an RP bottle left, but I'm pretty sure I used 75w-90, I used synthetic (it's GL'5 compatible) because I wanted synthetic in both diffs, but I really went round and round with Auburn Gear, actually sent two emails and made a phone call and they were adamant about NOT using synthetic with their LSD.

With the day I'm having (had to return my new radiator for the Jeep, it leaked out of the damn box and I have a sick dog) you may want to check me but rear capacity should be 4 3/4 pints and front should be 3 1/2...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 12-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:05 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Have those days myself. Understood. Thanks

Quick Reply: Diff and tranny service questions