3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Using the torsion bar for lift question

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2005, 04:51 PM
cdchristian
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Using the torsion bar for lift question

Ok. So I called a local off-road performance place about getting the torsion bar turned to even out the front (I want them to do it so they can reallign the wheels and such afterwards) but they said they tell their clients that they wish not to do that to the new model Rams because of the rack and pinion steering (makes the R&P go out faster). Does anyone know if there is much truth behind this? I keep looking at my new (to me) Ram thinking its so beautiful but needs the front lifted some. Thanks y'all

Old 08-01-2005, 05:25 PM
imeh
Default RE: Using the torsion bar for lift question

I was wondering about this too.

I have an 05, 2 wheel drive, do i have torsion bars or do i have springs???

Also is thier anything bad that comes out of cranking the torsion bars up.

Old 08-01-2005, 05:47 PM
cdchristian

You have springs..not torsion bars

Old 08-01-2005, 06:12 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Cranking torsion bars is controversial. When you mess with the stock geometry, things will and do wear faster. It is my belief that a mild torsion crank is okay and good for about 1" or so of lift. Any more than that the cost of replacement parts down the road vs. a good suspension lift come into play. JMHO, yours may vary. I've seen torsion bars break in half and other bad stuff on trucks with torsion bars cranked to the max.

Old 08-01-2005, 06:36 PM
cdchristian

ok, that was not what I was wanting to hear but I guess I will accept it I don't have the money for a big lift yet and getting those torsion keys put on is too costly to have done for just 2" of lift. I might look into doing the keys myself. Can anyone, who has actually put the keys on, tell me how much work was involved and what tools were needed? Thanks

Old 08-01-2005, 09:59 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I'm not saying that it can't be done or that you'll truck will break the next day. Just remember that there will be premature wear in the steering, driveline, and suspension. If you're planning on keeping your truck for a few years, well, nothing will probably happen. It is just as the miles add up, so does the wear. It is a cost/benefit ratio. I keep my trucks for a long time, so I wouldn't do it. My buddy that keeps his for about 3-4 years does it routinely on his Chevys and hasn't had a problem.

Old 08-01-2005, 10:14 PM
DeWalt378G
Record Breaker

Osteodoc is right. A little bit of crank is ok, but a lot is looking for trouble. If you are going off road, then your looking for a LOT of trouble. My ram is the same way. It's a 4x4, but still has that dip in the front (2 dips if I'm standing in front of the truck). My friend said, "you gotta get a lift or at least level it," but I too keep cars for a long time and don't want to cause problems in the future.

Old 08-01-2005, 11:33 PM
cdchristian

Yeah, this truck has to last me through the rest of college and when I serve my years in the Army. But maybe I can save up for a good 4-6" lift

Old 08-01-2005, 11:58 PM
mpd2436
Professional

It's not expensive to have a shop put the torsion keys on. A local shop charged me $75.00. Total for the keys and labor was under $300.00. Thats cheap. Check www.bigdawgperformance.com. they have an article on what you need as far as tools to do the job. I suggest having a shop do it though.

Old 08-02-2005, 06:23 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

that website sucks.

THIS IS A LEVELING KIT FOR ALL 02-05 DODGE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS. THIS LIFT WILL ALLOW YOU TO CLEAR UP TO 36 INCH TALL TIRES!!! THIS KIT WILL ONLY WORK ON 03-05 1/2 TON 4X4 DODGE RAM TRUCKS
So is it ALL 02-05 DODGE FOUR WHEEL DRIVE TRUCKS, or is it ONLY 03-05 1/2 TON 4X4 DODGE RAM TRUCKS?

What's with the all-caps. I don't get it.

Quick Reply: Using the torsion bar for lift question