3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

RPM issue

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 02:14 AM
mudkicker7812
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmmm, maybe the EGR block could have been leaking bye, but if there isnt suut around it i would be still thinking your cai is the culprit. You changed the Mass Air Flow sensor with that Map sensor as well? For poops and giggles get an alchohol wipe and wipe the bulb off. Carefull not to touch it with your fingers when reinstalling it.

Old 12-14-2011, 02:48 PM
rammaster
Amateur

I kind of had the same problem. Truck idled fine when it was first started but after it was warm it would idle a little under 500 rpm. I reset the computer and then it has worked fine ever since. I had it scanned and there was no codes so I have no idea what the problem was

Old 12-14-2011, 03:15 PM
chibaninxy

i followed dodge recommendations and replaced the throttle body. they told me i "might" have to re-flash. needless to say i had it re-flashed last night and still no changes. throwing this out on a branch... could it possibly be a bad fuel filter???

Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Just for sh*ts and giggles, reset your PCM...

Old 12-14-2011, 08:09 PM
chibaninxy

ive tried d/c the battery to reset pcm (if thats the "correct" way of doing the reset) at least a 5 times

Old 12-14-2011, 08:52 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the "PCM" fuse, get in, buckle the belt and close the door. Turn the key to "on" and wait for all the bells and chimes to stop. Turn the key off and put the fuse back in. That may immediately improve the situation, but it may take a few miles for the 'puter to learn again.

Old 12-15-2011, 01:32 PM
chibaninxy
Unhappy

i followed ur instructions, and drove about 70 miles already and still no change... i'm mind blown and can't figure this thing out! i don't have the $$ to just start replacing crap until its gone.... its like my dad told me, i bet u its something so dang stupid u'll kick urself once u figure it out.

Old 12-16-2011, 08:14 AM
chibaninxy

any chance of it being tranny? i have FANTASTIC get up and go, no gear slip and it seems to be in order. when the RPM drop i can take the truck from D and place in either P/N and wait for a second or two and the RPM will go to normal idle. is there a lever or cable that sets the transmission in drive/ect? i'm trying to rule EVERYTHING out but i'm running out of possibilites. thanks

Old 12-16-2011, 09:46 AM
mudkicker7812
Amateur

Chib, I think your overthinking it!
Yes a fuel filter could be bad, your CAI could be dirty/clogged ( wipe the bulb of the sensor with an alchohol wipe as well as clean your filter ). I am a mechanic, when diagnosing a problem, start from the easy stuff back. Your dealer pointed you at the throttle body. This to me makes sense with the intake causing your problem. Humor me and put the stock intake back on and tell me if it goes away!

If a fuel filter is clogging up the pressure at idle will decrease because the pump is no longer freely pushing fuel to the injector pump, its got the equivalent of a resister inline slowing fuel delivery down. Your dealer should have picked up on this. It is good practice to change these filters out every year any how considering their is Ethanol in today's fuel.

If these checks prove to be inconclusive, go to a reputable mechanic ( not the guys who had you spend allot of money on a throttle body ) and have him go through this. But for gods sake start with the air filter like I am telling you!!!!

Old 12-18-2011, 10:55 PM
chibaninxy

mudkicker, after replacing that darn actuator box (wasn't to bad) i decided to kick around a little more with the RPM issue... i only did ONE thing that proved to be the problem with my idle... the only thing i did was, unplug the air charge temperature sensor. i did quite a few miles with it unplugged and it runs like a TOP! my question now is... what to do now!? put the factory intake back on and lose that "performance mod" or is there alternative route that I can take besides removing my cold air intake??

Quick Reply: RPM issue