3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No low beam

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2011, 12:37 AM
Elec spark
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No low beam

Ok this is driving me nuts. I have a 2006 2500 diesel megacab. I had put some hids in and recently the drivers side quit working. You should know that the only way I could get them to work in the first place was to run my headlight switch on hi beam. Anyways I couldn't get the working again and ripped out the hid system. I went back to the oem system, and installed a new set of piaa bulbs. Now the hi's work, the daytime runners work, but only the passenger low works, and every once in a while, when switching to hi-beam, they don't respond. ( it's very dark when that happens ) I tested the voltage comparatively and found 12.54v on the passenger side, and 11.45v on the drivers. I'm getting a headache, please let me know.

Old 12-19-2011, 06:34 AM
Cthulhu
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm thinking you must have popped a fuse. High/DRL uses the same fillament witha lower watage output. I'm sure someone here will hep you find your fuse num.

Last edited by Cthulhu; 12-19-2011 at 02:47 PM.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

Those voltage readings you posted were they for the low beam circuit or high beam circuit? I'm thinking 10 volts would still be plenty to light up the headlights. If there's power at the low beam plug on the driver's side but still no light, pull the working assembly from the passenger side and just plug it in to the driver's side to make sure it's not a problem with the bulb or housing.

Also check out the HID thread that's stickied at the top of the list. I know it's a really long one but lots of good info. Since you have an 06 it has the TIPM system and if the HIDs weren't installed correctly with the resistors the truck's computer might have permanently shut off the low beam circuit if it was detecting a fault on it for a long time.

Old 12-19-2011, 04:05 PM
Elec spark

Thanks for the info, is there anyway for me to reset the computer without going to the stealers

Old 12-20-2011, 12:00 PM
Caseys-dodge
Veteran

From all that I've read on here if the problem is due to the TIPM shutting down that circuit only a DRB/III aka StarScan tool can fix that - dealer only

Quick Reply: No low beam