3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

p0500 code. replaced sensors and no change.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 12:22 AM
Jak
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I talked to my dodge guy. He told me that the problem from what he is finding is the ignition switch. He said I may also have a tooth knocked off the tone gear in the rear diff. He said metal doesn't always show up on the sensors magnet due to the fact there is another magnet in the bottom of the diff. I hope you found out some good news at the dealership and can hopefully give me some kind of releif with their answer. Look forward to hearing from ya brother.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:28 AM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Few things it can b, vss open bw the cab and pcm, vehicle speed signal circuit shorted to ground, vss signal short to voltage or bad pcm. thats based on code p0500 not ur other condition well a bad pcm could b causing all that bull to come on. make sure ur batts up to par and battery connections.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:22 AM
JDG103
Veteran

Hey Jak so i when i went back they still told me the same issue...so i went to replace to oil on the axle and there and behold im missin teeth from my tone gear...so now i need to find out how much its goin to cost and id i can do it myself if not ill prob just trade it in for a CTD

Old 01-04-2012, 09:34 AM
Jak
Amateur

Thanx Prado, for the input.

I'm gonna check my tone gear this Friday as well. The guy also told me that there is a recall to check for the harness for your heater fan as well. Check your vin to be sure you've had it. It causes your ignition switch to burn out.

Old 01-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Jak
Amateur

The gear is only 18 bucks from the dealer and thts the only place you can get it. They may have to order it but mine said it is a next day part. Should b 80 or 90 weight gear oil. I'll post what all I do Friday night if you don't go ahead yourself. Good luck brother, hope this solves all your issues. B sure to check on tht recall as well.

Old 01-04-2012, 01:57 PM
JDG103
Veteran

Thankz Jak i did check on the recalls every recall was fixed..as for the tone gear that is fairly cheap and i thank you..i havent got ahead of myself im just nervous to work on my axle cuz i have not ever worked on one before. But keep in touch and let me know what you find buddy i hope its not your tone gear either

Old 01-04-2012, 02:59 PM
Jak
Amateur

I'm pretty sure it is from wht u found out and frm wht my dodge guy said. From the sounds of it, it isn't to difficult to replace either. I will post wht I do along wth some pics Friday night. R u gonna do urs or did u get a quote from the dealer?

Old 01-06-2012, 02:53 PM
JDG103
Veteran

I want to do mine but im gOing to ask my father in law sinces hes a mechanic...if its a simple unbolt the old one and bolt on the new one then i may do it i just dont want to mesh with the back lash if i dont have to but if i do then i guess ill go to a shop

Old 01-06-2012, 03:31 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

I believe the tone ring is pressed onto carrier in the diff if I'm not mistaken. If that's case axles gotta come out q bit, reset gear lash etc, at that rate is do new bearings n seals too

Old 01-06-2012, 05:03 PM
broncoremy
Professional

Jak and JDG,

Great to hear you were able to find out what this problem is. Hope you both are able to finish the repair without too much more complication.

JDG, we should try to close the loop on this thread, too.
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...need-help.html

Congrats, guys!

BR

Quick Reply: p0500 code. replaced sensors and no change.