3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:34 AM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Removing Trailer Hitch

ORIGINAL: |3|ackAc|D

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

If it came from the factory, yes, it is welded on. I'm guessing that you want to remove it for asthetic reasons. Personally, I'd just leave it b/c if you're rear-ended by another vehicle, it is just more to stop them.

As a side note, here in south florida people drive crazy and there are always an accident...so I started to just leave the trailer hitch in until I saw this poor kid probably around 8 or so whack his knee on it in a parking lot as I was walking out to the truck. He was OK. It was his fault, but I still felt bad so now I just put the Ram head plug back in.
LMFAO... dude my friend ate it bad one day when we were walking.. lol i had my hitch on my truck and we were walking and talking and then all of a sudden, he just dissapears... i look back and i see him on the ground moaning and growling lol, it was halarious cuz hes like "****IN *******, your ****in hitch got my ***.. ugh come over here and help me up" lmfoa
Thanks. I needed a laugh after the long day I had.

Old 08-05-2005, 08:14 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

I think we should set up a thread of people getting owned by trailer hitches!

Old 08-05-2005, 08:47 PM
DonG
Veteran

I would leave it on as well, unless you need it off for a custom install. The person I know of who removed it needed to for a custom rollpan.

Old 08-05-2005, 09:41 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

I think we should set up a thread of people getting owned by trailer hitches!
I've done it a few times.

Old 08-18-2005, 08:05 PM
divechief

I have an extra long hitch and ball sticking out of my receiver. I leave it in there all the time. Kind of an intimidation device for tailgaters. You might have trouble down the road when it comes time to sell your truck if it dosen't have a trailer hitch.

Old 08-18-2005, 10:07 PM
HemiBuell
Captain

I have a huge drop hitch hanging out of my truck at all times for towing my trailers. Saved me the other day. Got rear ended. Hitch when through the grill and radiator of a toyota. Not a scratch on the drop hitch, powder coat is great.

Also, this is one of the most foolish things I have ever heard, with all due respect of course. You drive a TRUCK. TRUCKS are supposed to have a hitch on them. Maybe you should rethink your purchase of a gas guzzling vehicle if you do not need it. The $20 or more a week you save in gas could pay for another toy.

Quick Reply: Removing Trailer Hitch