3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Removing Trailer Hitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-2005, 04:40 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing Trailer Hitch

I'm trying to remove my trailer hitch (I don't own a boat and probably never will). Before you ask...yes I searched before I posted but, the other post's pic wasn't big enough. I took off my bumper and all the bolts. My truck came with the tow package so, I'm wondering if they welded it to the frame. I heard you have to jack the truck up. I have no idea where to jack up the truck? Anyway, I need help fast...or else I'm gonna give up...thanks for the help! If you have pics they would help...I'm horrible with directions.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:50 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Default RE: Removing Trailer Hitch

If it came from the factory, yes, it is welded on. I'm guessing that you want to remove it for asthetic reasons. Personally, I'd just leave it b/c if you're rear-ended by another vehicle, it is just more to stop them.

As a side note, here in south florida people drive crazy and there are always an accident...so I started to just leave the trailer hitch in until I saw this poor kid probably around 8 or so whack his knee on it in a parking lot as I was walking out to the truck. He was OK. It was his fault, but I still felt bad so now I just put the Ram head plug back in.

Old 08-03-2005, 04:59 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

I guess now I can put my bumper back on...thanks osteodoc08! Yeah, I don't like the way it looks and it adds another 50 pounds(whatever). Funny story too...poor kid.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:43 PM
DonG
Veteran

You can remove it. It looks like you might need to manuf a mount for the bumper support brackets, but it doesn't look too hard. I know others have removed their factory installed hitch. Attached is from the 04 manual. Your's should be the same.

[IMG]local://upfiles/12354/36B0F0BE657D4F82AF2C9CE1E403A2AF.jpg[/IMG]

Old 08-03-2005, 07:05 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

Thanks Don. If I have some spare time this weekend I'll try again...I'm done for today...I have a new problem now.

Old 08-04-2005, 01:44 AM
Avanti
Captain

Just be careful lifting the bed, that you don't "tip" it against the cab.

Good luck.

Old 08-04-2005, 03:16 AM
cbrewer954
Professional

I would just leave it on. Get a nice filler for the receiver (a ram head) and it'll look nice.
Besides, it's a good selling point if you ever get rid of the truck.

Old 08-04-2005, 08:59 PM
Silver Eagle
Captain

The trailer hitch is all so a security system as well. Now if you put one of those massive ball reciever's into the opening you will be surprised how people in general will respect the rear of your truck.. Especially in parking lots and red lights. They sure make a differance in someones front end.

Old 08-04-2005, 10:16 PM
YeahItsAHemi345
Record Breaker

You guys are right once again...you always are![sm=hail.gif] I'm gonna get one this weekend! Thanks guys!

Old 08-05-2005, 12:04 AM
|3|ackAc|D
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: osteodoc08

If it came from the factory, yes, it is welded on. I'm guessing that you want to remove it for asthetic reasons. Personally, I'd just leave it b/c if you're rear-ended by another vehicle, it is just more to stop them.

As a side note, here in south florida people drive crazy and there are always an accident...so I started to just leave the trailer hitch in until I saw this poor kid probably around 8 or so whack his knee on it in a parking lot as I was walking out to the truck. He was OK. It was his fault, but I still felt bad so now I just put the Ram head plug back in.
LMFAO... dude my friend ate it bad one day when we were walking.. lol i had my hitch on my truck and we were walking and talking and then all of a sudden, he just dissapears... i look back and i see him on the ground moaning and growling lol, it was halarious cuz hes like "****IN *******, your ****in hitch got my ***.. ugh come over here and help me up" lmfoa

Quick Reply: Removing Trailer Hitch