3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Torsion Bar Keys

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2005, 12:40 AM
Phatboy
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Torsion Bar Keys

Okay, now that I am back in the 4x4 camp officially, I want to pick the front end of my truck up to level it and maybe run 285-70-17s.

I have read about torsion keys and have seen a couple of different ones. Are these better than just cranking the bars? I know that cranking will put your CV joints in a bind but how does the key alleviate this? Anyone have pics of theirs installed?

Where is the best place to pick them up from? Is there a need for new, longer, shocks? I think the bilsteins seem to be pretty good.

Here is a company that has them listed pretty reasonable.

http://www.generalspringkc.com/

Okay, I keep editing this post because I am looking stuff up. LOL. I have been reading that all the keys do is allow you to turn the torsion bars farther. I was under the impression that the keys themselves helped lift the vehicle.

Is anyone using keys?

Old 08-05-2005, 10:46 AM
mpd2436
Professional
Default RE: Torsion Bar Keys

Just installing my torsion keys gave me 1.5 to 2.0 inches of lift to my front end. I can adjust them for another 1.5 inches if I want to. The only problem I have is my stock shocks are topping out and need to be replaced. Only when hitting potholes though.

Old 08-05-2005, 11:55 AM
tommiwan
Professional

I have read a few guys who are running these. You will need longer shocks, especially if you ever take the thing off roading. Also I would recommend going with some bigger tires especially if you are getting 2-3 inches lifted in the front. I can fit 305's without lifting or cranking the front, so if you did lift/crank you could fit 315's. It looks good to have that wheel well filled up.

http://www.truxxx.com/dodge_products...m_lift_kit.htm

Old 08-05-2005, 06:26 PM
Phatboy
Professional

Thanks for the info guys.

MPD- are your torsion bars still uncrunk? I am just curious about the CV axel angle. I am hoping the Keys eliminate the rack and pinoin wear that I have been reading about with the torsion bars turned up.

I think the 285s would be cool, 33s or so, I pull a camper and I dont want to throw off the ratio too much. Plus much bigger would probably put a huge damper on mileage.

That truck looks good on that site. The price is a bit higher than I have seen. The one from KC was around 165.00.

Any alignment problems with the keys?

<edit> Im sorry they have them for 85.00

http://levelingkits.generalspringkc....getorsion.html

Old 08-06-2005, 12:38 PM
mpd2436
Professional

I just ordered my shocks so when they come in I will adjust the torsion bars for a little more lift in the front. I decided to go with torsion keys because I didn't want a rougher ride by cranking up the torsion bars too far. Right now my truck rides the same as it did before I put them on. Once I raise another 3/4 of an inch I don't see that changing the ride quality much at all. I'll let you know when I finish it.

Old 08-06-2005, 12:42 PM
mpd2436
Professional

By the way i'm going with 33's on 17" rims once I do the final adjustment. I like the look of stock rims but want the bigger tires in All terrains. The All Terrains for 20' rims are just too damn expensive.

Old 08-06-2005, 02:09 PM
05_black_beast
Professional

ORIGINAL: mpd2436
The only problem I have is my stock shocks are topping out and need to be replaced.
Mine seem like they are topped out from the factory? [sm=wtf.gif]

I think my truck only needs about a 1/2" - 3/4" lift in the front to be where I want it. So Going a couple turns on the stockers should be my best bet, right?

Old 08-06-2005, 07:07 PM
Phatboy
Professional

I think the 33s will look great. Thats what I am planning on. Then once we sell our camper and get a motor home, then I am going to throw on a 3in body lift and 35s. Did you put the torsion keys on yourself?

I want to level it out but I dont want any adverse effects,

Old 08-07-2005, 03:19 AM
mpd2436
Professional

No I had a local shop do it. They had the lift and the right tools. I also had them align my truck. I haven't had any problems at all since the install,(aside from the shocks topping out). I just received my front shocks today, just waiting on the rears now. I figured I would replace all of them at once.

Old 08-07-2005, 03:26 AM
mpd2436
Professional

Black beast your shocks shouldn't be topping out if your at the stock ride height right now. If you only need a 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch lift to level your truck you probably could adjust your torsion bars a few turns without losing ride quality. I needed 2 to 2.5 inches in the front to level mine. That's why I went with the torsion keys.

Quick Reply: Torsion Bar Keys