3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

CV Angle or stub shaft issues??? ahhh

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 10:22 PM
cam_toews3
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Angle or stub shaft issues??? ahhh

03 Ram 1500

So i just spent $1400 at a driveline shop replacing both stub shafts and two new front axles. I'm completly unhappy with the work because im getting a grinding or ticking noise when i turn at a slow speed. Would that be the cv's or the stub and axle not spinning together and therefore griding?

The truck does have a leveling kit on it. I had my mechanic install it 2 years ago and had no problems until a month ago. I'm wondering what is the typical ride height for the front of the vehicle (bottom of wheel to fender well). Here is a picture of the cv angle with the truck on flat ground and wheels straight.

I just had new tires installed 275/65/20 so they are 34" tall (goodyear duratracs great tire by the way.)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Does this look okay? How can i measure the angle of the cv? could i just put a digital level on the shaft between the two joints?

I installed longer shocks but the driveline shop says they are too long and if ever extend fully i will bind my axles and snap them. I know they are ranchos but i can't remember the exact model i will try and find out though.

Old 01-13-2012, 08:27 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

angle doesnt look bad compared to other pics Ive seen but someone with a 4wd can better answer. Have you lifted the front end and spun the tire by hand to see if you can duplicate the sound?

Old 01-16-2012, 10:55 PM
Chris1530
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

angle dont look bad at all to me...
Have you checked the hub (wheel) bearings ?

Old 01-31-2012, 09:03 AM
cooper.chris313

clicking is usually CV joint. Grinding is usually wheel bearing. If you only get grinding on turns, and since your CV's are new, could your rims be rubbing something when turning? Possible it is a dust shield too. For $1400 you should take it back to have them verify everything is right. You should have a warranty.

Old 06-02-2013, 12:55 PM
cam_toews3

I know this is a late reply and i completly forgot about this after i took the truck in for an alignment. And yest i did take it back to the driveline shop and they told me nothing was wrong or they couldnt hear the issue. It turned out for some reason the driveline shop had loosened the steering shaft (not sure what to call it) anyways my alignment guy had it figured out in 15 minutes and all fixed up.

Quick Reply: CV Angle or stub shaft issues??? ahhh