3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 AWD - Is it working???

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 10:03 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 AWD - Is it working???

On my 2005 Laramie 4x4 Ram I cannot tell if the AWD system is working or not!

I have owned the truck for 5+ years and in winter driving the rear end kicks around a corner and I never feel the front grab....ever! I have had to resort to using the 4HI when I am concerned with weather because I dont think its working. I have even got on it going straight (in snow) and I only hear the rear when it grabs pavement.

The dodge dealer said today that it takes a couple seconds for the AWD to kick in, in the front! 2 plus seconds seems like way too much time.

Anyone know how to tell if its working or exactly how it does work?????

Old 01-16-2012, 10:49 PM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you punch it on a soft surface, do the front tires spin?

Old 01-16-2012, 11:19 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur

It feels like it, but I havent had people on each side of the truck to watch what happens. However, it may be an option I will have to try.

Old 01-16-2012, 11:21 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur

Sorry, I ment to say; "it feels like nothing is happening on the front end, no spinning at all"

Old 01-17-2012, 12:10 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Did the RAM pre-'09 have an AWD option? I thought they were all selective 4x4, meaning you have to engage the front wheels using either 4hi or 4lo?

Old 01-17-2012, 07:09 AM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I know the 2004s did so his 2005 probably had the option too, but a quick way to tell is do a power brake. Push on the brakes and floor it and if you have any wheel spin then your AWD system is not working. But in any case your truck is essentially a 4x4 full time so you could even try this in 4Lo in some dirt somewhere and you'd have the same results if your Transfer Case was bad.

Old 01-17-2012, 11:34 AM
HuskerNation1
Amateur
Angry

I gave a call to MaRAM and spoke to a tech there, unfortunately they didnt offer much help. They did say, "Yes its an AWD all wheel drive system" and "Yes, there is a delay between the rear slippage and front engagement." However he couldnt be exact on the time for that to take place. He didnt "think it should take two full seconds, but it isnt instant either." Neither did he have a way to determine if the AWD was working.

Old 01-17-2012, 12:14 PM
extremis
Professional

May sound stupid, but you are engaging it on the 4x4 selector? Usually there is a selector position for 2hi, 4hi, n and 4 lo along with the awd option (4 full or something like that?). I know in the Dakotas and some Jeeps they are set up that way. If its an electric switch, it may not be working right...

Yes it takes a while to engage. I drove a rental Chev Trailblazer with AWD. Bald tires in Labrador winter... smart eh? Hit some black ice, was headed sideways for a second then it engaged and pulled out straight. Definite lag in most AWD systems out there. I think the Jeep Quadra systems are some of the only ones that actually drive almost full time to all wheels without lag. Some recent AWD systems are faster to engage, ones with fancy traction control and ABS setups. Out trucks weren't that sophisticated. Most of those systems are based in cars or SUV/CUV markets.

Old 01-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Blacksport
Captain

On my switch, I have "2WD" "AUTO" "4HI" and "4LO". You have to have the "AUTO" selected for your AWD to work. And yes, there is a split second delay until the front wheels engage. Try and go beside a building in a parking lot where they have those big way windows so you can see a reflection of yourself. Punch it, and see if your front wheels are spinning.(I assume your in the snow).

Old 01-17-2012, 02:36 PM
HuskerNation1
Amateur

The truck has AWD, 4HI, & 4LO for options on the dash dial. I was just out doing donuts in the snow and not feeling a thing grab up front so I will need to find someone to view unless I can find a mirrored building in town.

Quick Reply: 2005 AWD - Is it working???