3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2005 ram w/aftermarket wheels shaking?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 05:30 PM
ramon26s
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2005 ram w/aftermarket wheels shaking?

I have aftermarket 26" wheels on my truck. i had them balanced at Les Scwhab so i know there balanced correctly. When i hit around 70 mph my truck starts shaking, sometimes worse than others. Tire place said it just has to do with the weight of the wheels which i dont understand but there the experts i guess. Any other suggestions? I have had them over a year and recently noticed some shaking when braking more of an up and down shake than just a violent shake?

Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Highway speed shake is generall tire balance issue's.
Shaking while braking is caused by warped rotors.

26" is pretty large and imagine they are fairly heavy? Did they try to rebalance them or check them for being out of round?

Old 01-25-2012, 07:24 PM
ramon26s
Rookie

yes they weight about 100lbs/piece. They balanced them right in front of me, they could completely balance them because of small imperfection in each wheel, well i can remember if it was the rubber or wheel. I just dont understand why it would shake the truck once it gets to 65mph. how much usually is it to replace the rotors?

Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

The faster the imperfection spins, the worse the shaking gets which is why it is bad at highway speeds.
Think about a washing machine that has a very large load of uneven jeans or comforter. It doesn't start wobbling and knocking and acting out of balance until it spins very fast. By then, your machine is starting to jump all over the place..haha

For just the fronts w/pads $120 shipped
They sell front&rear for $240 shipped
Local parts stores will want more than that for blank rotors alone and then pads will be another $40..
They aren't too labor intensive although you do need a C-clamp and some knowledge for the rear brakes. There's a DIY in the FAQ section. Garage Labor shouldn't cost more than 3hours labor.

Old 01-26-2012, 04:13 PM
ramon26s
Rookie

haha nice analogy it actually makes me understand. I have basic auto knowledge but my father in law has been doing that stuff for years so he will help me with it. ive had my ram since 06 and just now having the issues with the rotors, does that seam like normal wear and tear time for rotors or is it because of the oversized wheels?

Old 01-26-2012, 05:10 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

30-50kmi for front rotor and brake pads wear depending on how you drive is whats considered normal. The rears usually go for a little longer, 40-60kmi and sometimes longer. I do know some guys have had shaking after replacing just the fronts and when i told them to do the rears as well, it went away.
If your gonna go with the link that i provided, just go for front & rears to match and be done with it. The e-brake pads are in the inside of the rotor hub but you can prob get away with keeping your originals as they don't wear but every 100kmi.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:37 PM
ramon26s
Rookie

haha wel in that case i need to get on it im at about 101k, havnt done or needed any real maintenance except reg oil changes. ive scheduled my tune up but pretty bummed that just replacing the spark plugs is almost 500 bucks, next is the tranny service. ill prob order the rotters and etc this weekend and change them with my father in law to save some money. Thanks for the help

Old 01-26-2012, 08:45 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator

Sooo, I take it you haven't changed the diff fluid either? That stuff is due every 30kmi!!!
Trans filters and fluid are due every 100kmi, but the fluid should have been done at 50-60kmi.
Coolant is due every 3years or 50kmi whichever comes first.
Sounds like your overdue on all general maintenance.
$500 for plugs sounds really high. Sure it's time consuming and there are 16plugs, but your suppose to use copper plugs that only cost $2 per plug. That's $32 in parts.

Old 01-26-2012, 08:57 PM
ramon26s
Rookie

actually i believe ive had the diff fluid changed.. once. I think i havent thought about things to much is because i have never had any probelms or check engine light come on since ive had it so in keeping regular oil changes my mind led me to believe everything was ok. After i hit 100k i was like sh*t i really need to start doing things to be proactive vice reactive. i have to do a little at a time though because 100k service at the dealership was 1300 bucks. And yes the dealership said changeing the plugs were a pain in the ***. ive shopped around and all prices were basically the same.

Old 01-26-2012, 09:02 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

My 24s and all terrain tires were hard as hell to get balanced. I had them done 3x before I put balancing beads in them.

Quick Reply: 2005 ram w/aftermarket wheels shaking?