3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Quick air filter/intake question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 07:01 PM
Robstar
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I found an Ebay seller that has a Mopar replica with the heat shield and all fittings, o-rings, etc. for under $100 shipped. I like the idea of the heat shield. They show a TBS in the pic but it doesn't say its included.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-08-Dodge-...sories&vxp=mtr

I'm also looking into doing a panel filter with the Air Raid MIT. Too many options!

Old 02-01-2012, 07:30 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

I pondered that one too. But I figured is go cheaper. Got those pics just gotta upload

Old 02-01-2012, 08:48 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I build these custom plastic welded intakes. Better than metal and just as good as K&N or S&B

Old 02-02-2012, 12:52 PM
PRADO
Professional
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Nice u have any pics of the funished product installed? How much u sell them for?

Old 02-02-2012, 02:03 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

The LAST thing I would do is buy a cheap ebay intake. I've seen a bunch and the reason I've seen them is that people have come to me to fix them. Cheap hardware and failed welds abound. Most simply vibrate apart over time.

I'd make one, have made a couple of dozen for people so far and as 'Weed says, they perform just as well as a $300 name brand one. About the only ones that are significantly batter are the type that I call a TRUE CAI, like the Vararam. Drawbacks to these types are cost and the fact they get their air from outside the truck and down low, making it a bad idea for a 4x4...

Old 02-02-2012, 03:43 PM
NoLimitzR1
Professional

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
The LAST thing I would do is buy a cheap ebay intake. I've seen a bunch and the reason I've seen them is that people have come to me to fix them. Cheap hardware and failed welds abound. Most simply vibrate apart over time.

I'd make one, have made a couple of dozen for people so far and as 'Weed says, they perform just as well as a $300 name brand one. About the only ones that are significantly batter are the type that I call a TRUE CAI, like the Vararam. Drawbacks to these types are cost and the fact they get their air from outside the truck and down low, making it a bad idea for a 4x4...
Never seen any welds on mine its a 3pc mandrel bent based on the curves. I'll have to inspect the inside for welds though. Why would. They weld when they could bend and keep costs down.

Old 02-02-2012, 06:11 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

If your fleabay one is the metal tubed one with the little flange on it to connect to the sidewall support bracket that seems so popular, I've seen that tab snap off about a dozen times now. It can't be welded because it's cheap pot metal and has to be brazed. A lot of the ones I've made were PVC replacements for that one.

But honestly, my feeling is that any a$$hole can slap a credit card down and buy a CAI. Why not make one for all of $25 (plus filter), customize it a little and have a feeling of accomplishment on your own truck. It's gonna work as good as any one on the market that sells for under $400 and you're gonna have more pride in it...

Old 02-03-2012, 08:35 AM
Robstar
Amateur

I have a question for you guys... I think I am going to just do a DIY intake setup and get a K&N filter off Amazon or Ebay or something. My question is, why don't people use the factory elbow off the throttle body and mount the 3" PVC to that instead of using a 3" street elbow and having to drill a hole to mount the IAT sensor in? I haven't had any time to open up the hood and take a better look at whats in there but it seems like this would be easier, no?

I was thinking of just doing a piece of straight 3" PVC off the factory elbow with a street 90 and the filter shortly after that with a custom heat/mud/dirt shield.

Any input appreciated as I'm new to these trucks. Thanks.

Robbie

Old 02-03-2012, 08:43 AM
Robstar
Amateur

Another idea I had was to use a 3" silicon 90 off the throttle body instead of the PVC 90 because you could just punch a hole in the silicon elbow and the IAT would fit snug in it so no sealant, o-rings, etc. are needed. Then have your 3" pipe, 90, and filter. Anybody done it like this? www.siliconintakes.com has those 90s for 17 bucks.

Old 02-03-2012, 11:19 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Cheap Ebay intake = crappy cheap airfilter. SO, if you add up the cheap intake and buy a legitamate air filter that will do it's job, your taling atleast $100. K&N or S&B cone filters cost around $50-60. Plus metal chormed out intake tubes are not good for perfomance. Black plastic is the best.
I chose to drop in a K&N because the overall advantage to a cone element isn't worth it to me. I like to wash my engine out so a cone filter would need to be covered and you couldn't keep your engine running like I usually do as it's best.
Also, if you do any kind of offroading, a cone filter will get mud on it unles you buy a breathable cover which S&B does sell.
I did remove the Hemi hat with an Airraid intake tube i got off ebay used for $60. They are $120 new so, a tube and a drop in filter element will cost $180 if you chose to go that route as compared to a whole unit for $320 I chose Airraid arbitrarily for price comparison as the rest of the manufacturers are within the same price range except they dont sell just the intake tube like airraid does which fits OEM filter box perfectly.

Quick Reply: Quick air filter/intake question...