3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

MAG-HYTEC gasket question?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 05:26 PM
ccgRAMrod
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAG-HYTEC gasket question?

When taking the mag-hytec transmission pans off do you have to use the felt gasket like they provide or can you use the gasket silicone instead?

Old 02-01-2012, 08:01 AM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Anyone? I can be the only guy with this pan.

Old 02-01-2012, 11:02 AM
nateroach
Veteran

The pan is designed for the gasket, hence the smooth machined mating surface. If I remember correctly the factory pan has an indent in the mating surface to hold and create a "bead" of RTV. I think if you were to use RTV on the Mag-Hytech you would push out nearly all of the RTV when you torque it down and would end up with a greater chance of leaks.

if you are doing your trans service just get the wix service kit that has the 2 filters, o-ring and gasket.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3230&ppt=C0023

Old 02-01-2012, 11:19 AM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Originally Posted by nateroach
The pan is designed for the gasket, hence the smooth machined mating surface. If I remember correctly the factory pan has an indent in the mating surface to hold and create a "bead" of RTV. I think if you were to use RTV on the Mag-Hytech you would push out nearly all of the RTV when you torque it down and would end up with a greater chance of leaks.

if you are doing your trans service just get the wix service kit that has the 2 filters, o-ring and gasket.

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...3230&ppt=C0023
I called them and they said it had to be a felt gasket not rubber or it will leak for sure. I don't know why?

Old 02-01-2012, 10:50 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

U wouldnt use felt, rubber or cork. Straight up RTV for every diff gasket i;ve ever done. Never had a leak. I have used Permatex 1minute gasket for about 10yrs for RTV sealant. Awesome stuff and sets up thick so it doesnt squeeze out. That is the biggest issue with leaks, guys over tighten and squeeze the rtc out and dont allow the rtv sealant to fully cure before ading fluid. The Permatex stuff doesnt need to harden, it's a seal and go deal!
I'm sure you have the cover back on and truck running by now, but I thought Id share my thoughts for next time.

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 AM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
U wouldnt use felt, rubber or cork. Straight up RTV for every diff gasket i;ve ever done. Never had a leak. I have used Permatex 1minute gasket for about 10yrs for RTV sealant. Awesome stuff and sets up thick so it doesnt squeeze out. That is the biggest issue with leaks, guys over tighten and squeeze the rtc out and dont allow the rtv sealant to fully cure before ading fluid. The Permatex stuff doesnt need to harden, it's a seal and go deal!
I'm sure you have the cover back on and truck running by now, but I thought Id share my thoughts for next time.
My question was for the transmission pan not the diff covers. I use the RTV stuff too and love it! That's why I asked if the Mag-hytech trans pan would work with that stuff. I haven't done it yet since I can't find a felt gasket yet.

Old 02-02-2012, 08:18 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

opps, my bad! It was well past me bedtime when I posted. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up by 4am for a 12.5hr shift at work.

Rubber and rtv dont go well and the groove cut will cause the leak, so I agree with them on the no rubber.
I would use the stuff I stated above. HERE
Use med blue loctite on the bolts and torque them down evenly. Go around the pan criss cross about 4 or 5 times so your not tightening too much at once. Once the bolts get snug, go around and do a final torque so the rtv just starts to squeeze out.

let it set for atleast 1hr before putting ATF in it. If you dont want to use loctite, a small amount of rtv on the threads will do the same, just not too much or it'll cause bind in the thread hole and cause the bolt to "bottom out" if you will.

Last edited by dirtydog; 02-02-2012 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:28 AM
ccgRAMrod
Professional

Originally Posted by dirtydog
opps, my bad! It was well past me bedtime when I posted. I go to bed around 9:30pm and get up by 4am for a 12.5hr shift at work.

Rubber and rtv dont go well and the groove cut will cause the leak, so I agree with them on the no rubber.
I would use the stuff I stated above. HERE
Use med blue loctite on the bolts and torque them down evenly. Go around the pan criss cross about 4 or 5 times so your not tightening too much at once. Once the bolts get snug, go around and do a final torque so the rtv just starts to squeeze out.

let it set for atleast 1hr before putting ATF in it. If you dont want to use loctite, a small amount of rtv on the threads will do the same, just not too much or it'll cause bind in the thread hole and cause the bolt to "bottom out" if you will.
No worries, I'm on that same schedule too. Thanks for the info!

Quick Reply: MAG-HYTEC gasket question?