3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Rear Slider Window drain tubes

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2012, 03:46 PM
Slowdog
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Slider Window drain tubes

Hello,

I own a 2007 Ram 1500 QC with a leaky rear electric sliding window.

I have read a few posts that mention "drain tubes" or "seep holes" that are supposed to drain water from the interior channel that the rear slider window slides in.

Like other 3rd Gen owners, my rear slider window is leaking past the seals, filling up the channel and then overflowing into my storage bins.

I have verified that the water is coming in at the bottom seal of the sliding window, but I cannot located the drain holes that some have mentioned in other post (some on other forum sites). I read one post that suggested creating drain holes, but if there are already drain holes present, I wish to try and open those up first.

If I could find the location of the drain tubes perhaps I could dislodge whatever is blocking them...

Thanks!!

Old 02-01-2012, 08:53 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

I think DirtyDog knows a bit about these.

Old 02-01-2012, 10:36 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

The only thing I do know is that another member had drilled out 2 holes in the far corners and used coffee stirrers as the drain tubes. I dont remember the entire thread off hand, but I believe the stock drain holes are of pin size.
Luuckily I havent had any issues with my truck yet.

You could try pressure washing the edges of the window when you wash your truck next as it might free dirt/debris out of the track and holes. You might have minor leaking right after but it could potentially help???...
if i find the thread I'll post back with link.

Old 02-02-2012, 11:18 AM
Slowdog
Amateur

Thanks, I found that Post giving instructions on installing a drain tube and read it. I may try that method.

I posted on the Cummings Diesel forum because I noted that a couple of those guys have the same problem. Their response is that, per their Dealers, these slider windows were never designed to be leak proof which is why the drain tubes were placed between the interior window channel and the outside, however, they said that the drain tubes are typically plugged by adhesive when the truck was built. They said that the stock tubes exit outside under the rear window, but so far I have been unable to locate them. They also told me that opening up the tubes if they have been clogged by adhesive cannot be done without removing the window due to the characteristics of the adhesive.

By running water across the lower part of the window I noted that the leak is where the horizonal seal meets the verticle seal. In fact, I can see daylight through that joint. I have placed a dab of silicon sealer where they join. After that dries I will test it again. However, I still need to find a way to open up those drains.

Thanks for your help!!

Old 03-13-2012, 12:16 PM
kupperpooh

I have the exact same issue with my truck. I have been trying to fix it for 6 months now. i am sick of my carpet under my back seats being soaked.

Old 03-13-2012, 12:42 PM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by kupperpooh
I have the exact same issue with my truck. I have been trying to fix it for 6 months now. i am sick of my carpet under my back seats being soaked.
I have the same issue on my 06 with the power rear slider. Every time we get a heavy rain, i get a wet carpet in the back.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:02 PM
kdhanks61

Did anyone find the fix for this leak. Can't find drains anywhere inside or out. I have an 06 ram 1500 Please help my husband is ill had agent orange cancer and no benefits HELP

Old 05-26-2013, 12:03 PM
Slowdog
Amateur

I never found a permanent solution to my leak. I did find the drain holes, they are located 6-6 1/2 inches in from the outside lower corners of the rear glass....however, I could never actually see them as they are covered by the cable on the inside and too far up under the glass on the outside. By taking an air nozzle on my air compressor I was able to blow down under the cable inside until I saw debris blow out into the bed area. I have had to blow them clean twice in the past year.

My leak is caused by the cheap "rubber" window seal that runs along the bottom of the sliding glass. That seal is apparently intended to join the vertical strips of rubber seal to form a water tight seal, but the seals have shrunk with age leaving a visible gap. Like many others, I have had to use 100% silicone in those bottom corners against the sliding window in order to stop the leak....of course that prohibits use of that sliding window....if you open it you will have to reseal it.

After extensive searches for replacement seals I gave up. Per suggestions on other forums, replacing the entire bottom window track may or may not include new seals that the sliding window runs against, but I could not see how it would and replacing that lower track requires removing the window (and risking damage to the cable system). Therefore, mine is sealed with 100% clear silicone.... It is stupid for Dodge to place such a defective system on the market, but I have read that both Ford and Toyota have similar problems. Losing use of the rear power window is better than a truck that smells and fills with water in the under-seat storage bins each time it rains.....but we should at least get a rebate from Dodge for the cost of that option.....particularly since they have apparently know of the defect for years.

Old 05-26-2013, 12:27 PM
kdhanks61

Slowdog sent you a reply. Thanks for input. Just lost on what to try next. Hope I can figure out the air compressor. It's raining here (has been off and on the last two days) but have carpet and rear seat out so at least carpet isn't getting wet. With some silicone in on the rubber the water has slowed down. So ready to remove the manual slider and just replace the whole darn thing but money is the issue. Please keep input coming thanks:-)

Old 05-27-2013, 06:51 PM
Slowdog
Amateur

I am not sure if the manual sliding window has drain holes....all of my investigation related to the power sliding window. Knowing what I now know, I would prefer the manual window...I never had leaks with those on my Toyota or Ford.

If you do not know the exact area of the leak, then have someone with a hose squirt water on each area of the window while you watch from inside the truck. Other areas noted for causing leaks on our 3rd Generation Rams is the perimeter window seal (that runs all the way around the window) and the area of the third brake light above the window. You can do a search on this forum and find many, many hits on how to cure those problems. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Rear Slider Window drain tubes