3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Planning a cross country move...did some work.need advice on trailer brake controller

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2012, 06:15 PM
kvsmith2004
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Planning a cross country move...did some work.need advice on trailer brake controller

I am going to be moving from Virginia Beach VA to San Diego CA at the end of Feb. I have a long list of things that need to be worked on and here is what I got done today:

Replaced rotors and pads on all 4 tires. Ceramics are great...first time I have had them. Changed oil with Mobil 1 full synthetic. Changed serpentine belt. Changed rear diff fluid with Royal Purple full synthetic. I am coming up on 140,000 miles and no c clip failure and no excess wear. Ill keep my fingers crossed on that one. New wiper blades oh and before the oil change did a seafoam treatment. Next step new tires.

I am going to need to install a trailer brake controller, I am buying a 7 X 14 cargo trailer, any input on what one to get? I looked around under my dash ans I cant find the spot where in connects to. Any input would be great. Thanks

Old 02-05-2012, 06:56 PM
Crackshot
Professional

I have a tekonsha primus. Was like 60 bux. Works for up to 3 axle trailers. I tow a 30 ft dual axle travel trailer and works great. As for hookups, is ur truck already wired for a 7 pin trailer plug?

Old 02-05-2012, 07:25 PM
kvsmith2004
Veteran

I have a 4 pin set up in the rear...I followed it back from the rear bumper and all I can see is just the 4 wires....from what I understand there should but some sort of blue wire or connector up under the dash by the brake pedal but i can't find it but i may just be not seeing it. From what i understand it has the factory tow package. I have the tranny radiator and the power steering radiator and I have a mopar class 5 hitch. Does anyone have a pic of where the trailer brake controller plugs into?

Old 02-06-2012, 10:19 AM
Crackshot
Professional

The blue wire should be 10 gauge. It is the power that energizes the trailer brakes.
You might have to run a separate wire for that. Mine was the same way.
Mine is equipped with a "towing package" but had to have a couple wires run from the controller to the rear plug socket so I am suspecting I had a 4 pin plug on my ride at one time.

The 2 additional wires you will have to run would be a "charge" wire. (that keeps your trailer battery charged up while traveling if equipped)
The 2nd is the trailer brake energizer wire.
The other wires in the 4 pin are brakes, turn indicators, ground.
Go buy a 7 pin socket and some 10 gauge wire or you can take it to like a u haul and will wire it up for you for like 50 bucks.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-06-2012, 02:09 PM
extremis
Professional

All these trucks have a 4 pin trailer connector by the rear bumper. The full tow pack would have the 7 pin connector and factory hitch at the back as well. If you don't have the factory 7 pin connector, then probably the wiring will need to be added for trailer brakes. all my trucks had the 7 pin, and I just plugged in the factory provided wiring harness that was in the glove box (or under the rear seat) after connecting it to the controller.
The uhual or hitch shop route may be the best for you if the factory setup wiring isn't already there.
BTW, if you use that 4 pin connector, test it out well ahead of time. They are notorious for corroding and becoming non-functional. Both my trucks were that way, but having a 7pin and a 7-4pin adapter meant I didn't need the factory 4 pin anyways.

Quick Reply: Planning a cross country move...did some work.need advice on trailer brake controller