3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Problems w/tie rod recall

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2012, 07:27 AM
gardengal
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Problems w/tie rod recall

I have a 2007, 2500 Diesel MegaCab with 92,000 miles. The truck was making a knocking sound while turning left so I took it into our Dodge dealer. They tell me it is covered under the recall and should not cost anything to fix. Yeah me!

However, when our tech went to find the parts he discovered he can no longer order just that one tie rod that is defective he has to order the entire front end kit that runs about $850 + tax and alignment that I will have to pay out of pocket.

To add insult to injury, the parts included in the kit are upgraded (I read this as to be made stronger, larger, costing more,) so Dodge knows there is a problem with their entire front end.

Has anyone had this experience happen to them and has anyone dealt with Dodge on how to get this rectified without me having to pay through the nose? It seems they should be on the hook for this since they know there is a problem with their parts that cause a safety concern.

Old 03-03-2012, 12:32 AM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts
Old 03-03-2012, 09:16 AM
jrsick
All Star
Received 67 Likes on 65 Posts

This may be another example of dealer rip-off. You can buy just the tie rod ends for your vehicle. Try another dealership and call Dodge customer assistance to discuss your situation. Email to dealership/Dodge is always good because it documents correspondence.

Old 03-03-2012, 09:41 AM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, I'd say they knew about it since they changed to them for the '07s and then. Changed again for the '08s, making the '07s a unique part. I hadn't seen where the ends were discontinued though and would try another dealer. To my line of thinking a recall means they should remedy the situation regardless of whether they need to obtain the single part or need to get multiple parts, so I'd fight it. Of course you could pick up a couple of Moog ends yourself, which are also greasable and be done with it for about $150 for both ends...

Quick Reply: Problems w/tie rod recall