3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Star Tron and Hemi spark plugs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2012, 03:51 PM
thumperk15
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Star Tron and Hemi spark plugs?

Well, my '08 is close to 53,000 miles so I want to do plugs and a tranny fluid drain and a filter, no flush just new filter. Any special plug opinions, maybe a multi spark set such as a Bosch Platium 4 or like plug?

As for the Star Tron I've heard good things and after 53,000 miles of only oil changes and 87 gas I'm starting to want to clean a few things. The truck needs to last a while. On a full tank of 91 which is 26gal how do a mix this in my tank and how do I measure it out? I want to do this tonight and swap plugs tomorrow on my day off. Need help soon.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:08 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

DON'T do Bosch Platinums in a Hemi. I had good luck with them in all three of the ex's Grand Cherokees (two 4.0s and a 4.7) and put them in my truck at 30k and it ran like poo-poo. A subsequent thread I started way back when got LOTs of responses from guys who tried them with similar results. This engine likes good, old fashioned (and thankfully dirt cheap) coppers. Get you sixteen $1.75 Champion Coppers. Besides, the manufacturer specs 30,000 mile plug changes regardless of plug type, so the platinum plugs end up just costing you more money.

As for the StarTron, 1st use is 1 oz. per 8 gallons then 1 oz. per 16 gallons thereafter. If you have a 26 gallon tank, pour in 3 oz. or just a smidge over and then top it off. I am probably one of the largest proponents of NOT using 87 octane in a Hemi BUT there is no benefit running 91 octane unless you are tuned. 89 is fine...

Old 03-03-2012, 04:40 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

I'm just basically stock, Magnaflow behind the cab, CAI, and a Trinity with the lowest tune the 87 fuel tune, and my throttle response kicked up to 10 or 15%. I just do 91 now and again because Shell uses non ethanol premium. Not sure what $.30 or so more per gallon will add up to in a years time. I have another car that gets 30mpg so I can treat my hemi right sometimes lol. Any luck with Autolites or just Champion bottom of the line plugs? Are they hard to swap out, or normal tools and common sense? Any number Champion I need to get or just say hemi and get 16? I didn't even know there's 16, I thought the 4.7 Rams had the 16 plugs, one being 100,000 change ones.

Old 03-03-2012, 04:57 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I have switched to 89 octane at hammers suggestion and chose lucas oil ethanol treatment instead of star tron. I havent run any official numbers yet but there is no doubt i am getting better mileage just based on how often i am having to fill up compared to prior experience. As for plugs, just basic copper champions have served me well.

Old 03-03-2012, 06:39 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Running a tuner with an "87 octane" tune retards timing a shade, often while still picking up a tad of performance (depending on the tuner) and running 87 octane with such a tune is fine. I've just seen too much evidence over the last few years that the stock tune and 87 used over the long haul is just not a good thing for engine longevity in the Hemi. Now personally, I've found that running a "performance tune" with 93 octane gives me the best fuel economy, enough so that I come out better on fuel cost despite paying 30 cents a gallon more for the fuel. Plus the performance kicks a$$, LOL.

Greg, I know a few guys running the newer Sta-bil with ethanol treatment and they are getting similar results as the people running StarTron. I haven't seen the Lucas treatment, but I wouldn't be surprised if it gave the same kind of results. I've used Lucas products quite a lot over the years and run their HD conventional lube in my rear differential since my LSD says a synthetic is a no-no. My old man was a mechanic from the time he was 16 until his mid 30s and has put 1 quart of their oil stabilizer in at every oil change for as long as I can remember.

Ethanol is just pure out crap in engines and I no longer put gas that contains it in ANY engine I own from weed whackers on up to my vehicles...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 03-03-2012 at 06:44 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 07:22 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Well, I don't check my mpg by the fill ups since I hardly fill up lol. This thing eats a Ben Franklin each fill up! I only go off the computers average but its an average from several tanks. If it went up a number or two I'll know by that I guess. So on my Diablo Trinity is non ethanol 91 and the 91 tune ok?

Old 03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator

Yeah you'll actually be better with non-ethanol 91 because it will stay at 91 longer, especially if using a product that's a fuel stabilizer as well (I know StarTron and StaBil are, I would assume the Lucas product is as well, but you'd have to check the bottle).
First of all, ethanol absorbs water molecules directly from the air, so if you live in a humid climate, that 91 is probably "watered down" some before it even gets into your tank and only gets more so as it sits in your gas tank. 10% ethanol gas (E10) can lose a couple of octane points before it's a month old just from absorbed water. Non-ethanol or ethanol treated gas won't absorb water from the atmosphere at nearly the rate and will tend to hold it's rated octane for up to three months. Further, a stabilizer can extend this time for a year or more, which is why you'll usually see that an ethanol treatment is also a fuel stabilizer (but not always the other way around - all fuel stabilizers are not necessarily ethanol treatments). Good old ethanol, another example of our government looking out for our best interests... (yes, that would be sarcasm)...

Old 03-03-2012, 08:04 PM
thumperk15
Veteran

Well, my wife has a new Civic SI and if she runs Murfys gas from Walmart she gets 30-31mpg and if she runs Shell gas she gets 34-35mpg average. That being that Shell is non ethanol and the other has ethanol. Shells quite a bit higher local but with her numbers being that much different mine can at least be 1-2 and that's worth it. Mines been like 15.5-16.3-5 since day one so I'll know if this 91 and Star Tron helps if my trucks average display changes.

Thanks for your help! I'll try to search this stuff further but that's very helpful.

Old 03-03-2012, 08:09 PM
CodeBlox
Professional

I did my first dosage yesterday in my 07 HEMI using ~4.25oz with the 34(?) gallon fuel tank. This seems to be for ridding my fuel of ethanol. I might have asked in my other thread that got deleted, but Hammerz, will it clean my in tank fuel filter? Also, I finally put a picture of my truck in my siggy!

Last edited by CodeBlox; 03-03-2012 at 08:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:04 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

The lucas stuff advertises similar benefits as the star tron and stabli stuff. Nobody carries the new stabil stuff around here yet and its more expensive anyway. And only wally world has the star tron and is sometimes out of stock. The lucas stuff is priced decent and is more available. It supposedly helps with ethanol and has cleaning agents.

Quick Reply: Star Tron and Hemi spark plugs?