3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Which Exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2005, 03:59 PM
Oppie1
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which Exhaust?

I posted this in the Dakota forum by accident... Woops, anyway..

So, I'm looking at these two exhausts -

GIBSON SUPER TRUCK EXHAUST
GIBSON DUAL SPORT EXHAUST

I want something that is a little loud and brings out that v8 rumble, but I don't want it too obnoxious. I love the looks of the super truck exhaust and I really want that style, but I have a feeling it's going to be too loud. It says don't use it for towing, but I will probably end up towing maybe twice a year if that. Is it really THAT loud?
I'm not sure how the Gibson dual sport sounds and it looks decent...
Is there an exhaust out there for a 05' 1500 with a 4.7 that exits where the super truck exhaust does, has the same style nice tips, and isn't going to shatter windows?

Thanks!

Old 08-10-2005, 04:54 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran
Default RE: Which Exhaust?

these posts are getting to be VERY frequent!!!!

There is a new topic about which exhaust sounds better EVERYDAY!!!

DO A SEARCH!

AND BTW...NO EXHAUST ON THE 4.7 IS GOING TO "SHATTER WINDOWS".....

gibson is good for the money....but for a 4.7 i would personally recommend a magnaflow system....best of both worlds in both quality and sound for not too much money. The gibson systems (headers, exhaust, etc.) are pretty cheap in quality same as flowmaster.....

go ahead and flame me for saying flowmaster and gibson are cheap...but how can you argue that....they are the "entry level" systems and nothing more.

the top of the line are (in this order):

Magnaflow #3
Borla #2
Corsa #1

Old 08-10-2005, 04:56 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Oppie1

II want something that is a little loud and brings out that v8 rumble, but I don't want it too obnoxious. I love the looks of the super truck exhaust and I really want that style, but I have a feeling it's going to be too loud. It says don't use it for towing, but I will probably end up towing maybe twice a year if that. Is it really THAT loud?
I'm not sure how the Gibson dual sport sounds and it looks decent...
Is there an exhaust out there for a 05' 1500 with a 4.7 that exits where the super truck exhaust does, has the same style nice tips, and isn't going to shatter windows?

Thanks!

and BTW....when they say...not for towing....it has nothing to do with how loud a system is.....it has to do with the piping or tips interfering with the hitch and trailer setup.

Old 08-10-2005, 05:37 PM
Oppie1

Thanks for taking the time to respond, You have been a great help.
This is my first american vehicle and first full size truck with a v8, so I'm a major noob, sorry.
Ask me about boosted boxer engines and maybe I could help

Old 08-10-2005, 05:40 PM
Oppie1

Also, you should make an exhaust FAQ stickey in this forum to illiminate some noob questions. Just a suggestion.

Thanks again.

Old 08-10-2005, 06:43 PM
mag75

oppie,

I have the super truck exhaust on my 02 Ram Quad cab and let me reassure you it sounds great. Not too loud, and definitely not too quiet. It comes out the passenger side so the noise on your side of the car isnt too great. As for the sound, hands down the best sounding exhaust I have ever heard. I was in the same position as you, I didnt want the TRADITION two pipes out the back ("hey check out my flowmasters") that **** drove me crazy. I saw this exhaust ordered it and took it in to get installed.

After the guy installed it and he turned to me and said: "When i saw this exhaust I thought it was going to sound like ****, but thats one of the best sounding dodges I have ever heard." no bull****.

I suggest getting this.

Old 08-10-2005, 07:16 PM
Oppie1

That's awesome! I think I am going to pick it up. The price is right too! I just forked over 480 for Line-X and I have to buy a tonneu cover soon, damn this **** adds up fast! I can't see paying 500 - 800 for a catback system for 4.7, that's just not going to happen. I love the looks of where it exits, it's just badass. Dual exhaust out the back is played!

Old 08-10-2005, 07:24 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

ORIGINAL: Oppie1

Thanks for taking the time to respond, You have been a great help.
This is my first american vehicle and first full size truck with a v8, so I'm a major noob, sorry.
Ask me about boosted boxer engines and maybe I could help

thats funny that you used to have an STi......big difference right?

I used to have a 2004 WRX with some mods (around 280-290whp) and I traded it in last september for an 04 Cobra and did some more work to that...than I decided against sports cars as a daily driver on long island and got the truck...only drive the cars on sundays.

The WRX and STis are alot of fun though. I miss mine. Even though my cobra was MUCH faster...the WRX was more of a TOY that was alot of fun and made cool sounds (BOV etc) and the exhaust sounded great on that boxer motor ....I had the blitz nur spec if you know what i mean.

lata

Old 08-10-2005, 09:30 PM
grayhemi
Professional

I was just on the Gibson website looking at the Super Truck exhaust...all the sound clips for the Super Truck exhaust were the same, exact same clip used for Dodge, Ford, Chevy, whoever, different size engines, didn't matter.....wonder how it really sounds......

Old 08-11-2005, 07:04 PM
FatherKind
Rookie

Banks has a new exhaust out for the Hemi. Anyone tired IT yet?

Quick Reply: Which Exhaust?