3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 mega cab 1500 4x4 tcc issue?? need help/advice

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 06:54 AM
Jesse holbert
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 mega cab 1500/2500 4x4 transmission issue?? torque converter locks erratically

I have a problem with my torque converter locking up at idle-in gear and also it shutters in 1st and 2nd on acceleration. There are no codes. I did a pan drop last summer and changed both filters and used the correct fluid to refill. The fluid is presently clean and smells good. It has been doing this for about 3 weeks now.
Is it the tcc solenoid? My 2001 cummins had the same problem but slightly different symptoms.
I priced the solenoid and the dealer said it came in a package/kit with other stuff-don't know what...the parts clerk left the info on my voicemail. But it was $324. The solenoid for my 2001 was about $70.
I need some advice-my local dealer was of no help when i took it to them for this issue. First they said there was no problem, then that it was a bad u-joint (lol), then the service manager said it was bad spark plugs.
When the converter locks up at idle in gear, if feels like I'm dumping the clutch in a stick shift and stalling the engine...

This truck has the hemi.

Thank you!

Last edited by Jesse holbert; 03-09-2012 at 11:37 AM. Reason: title change/modification
Old 03-12-2012, 11:41 AM
Jesse holbert

Anyone??

Old 03-12-2012, 12:52 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did you install the seal right for the screw on filter because that can cause your converter to drain back while sitting there was also a problem with faulty filters causing the same problem over time it could probably mess up the converter

Old 03-12-2012, 01:32 PM
Jesse holbert

Yes i replaced the seal and i believe i did it correctly. I did the filter and fluid change about 10k miles ago but the problem has only been for the last 1000 or so. Its noticeably worse when the engine is cold for example after it has sat overnight. It does both though sometimes when you put it in gear it feels as though i put it in neutral and takes 10-15 seconds to go...unless i give it some gas-other times it feels like the converter is locked when i put it in gear because it "slams" in and nearly stalls the engine. If you can imagine being in a std shift vehicle and with it running and in gear, holding the brake while slowly releasing the clutch to the point of killing the engine or pushing the clutch back in before the engine dies-is what my truck is doing. Its not.just the engine rpm.dropping-i can feel something.engaging and pulling the engine down-it tries to roll on its own against the brake. After i put say 10 miles on it, its not as bad when stopped but still, on acceleration, the converter locks and unlocks repeatedly...but for some reason only in 1st and 2nd gear. Once i get up to speed, its fine. The converter stays engaged under load as it should-no slipping etc. I wouldn't think this has anything to do with it but the night before the problem started i was following my wife home from dinner on a 4 lane city road and she acted like her Nitro wanted a piece of my hemi (lol) we were going about 30 mph and i kicked it down enough to lunge out in front of her but let off before it shifted out of 1st. I did this twice. But I've done it before so i wouldn't think it would cause a problem. But i don't know...

Old 03-12-2012, 02:26 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

I must say. Racing the wives is always fun. Helps them appreciate all the time and effort....and makes them jealous

I cant say I have any help though. I had an issue with that ****ty Mopar replacement tranny filter that didnt work properly. Occasionally when starting the truck in the morning or actually whenever, it would act as if I was in drive with a horrible slip in the tranny. It would take 10 -15 seconds to get moving. I replaced the newly replaced filter and all is well. Gotta love it - Doing maintenance which causes in extra wear.

I really hope that the engineers who put these faulty items into manufacturing atleast have to hear about it, *** chewing or something.

Old 03-12-2012, 02:27 PM
slakker25rs
Professional

I would say there is a chance the screw on unscrewed or something. I never had the extended issues you are having.

Old 03-12-2012, 06:06 PM
Jesse holbert

I think I'll just try filter route...to see if its loose and probably replace them anyways. I can't believe they still don't put drain plugs on their tranny pans. That makes maintenance a real pain in the ***. Its going to to suck pretty bad if i change the filters and fluid again and the problem is still there...then I'll have to do it all over again to replace the solenoid(s). Probably either invest in a mag-hytec pan or just tig a drain plug in mine.
One problem...so much work!

Old 03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
scwpd
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There is also a check valve in the colleen return line that can go bad and cause drain back I think it was $125 when we changed mine

Old 03-18-2012, 10:46 PM
Jesse holbert

ok...i have not replaced the trans filters yet. but i have been recently blessed with a new dtc. p1607. i dont know if i mentioned it in this thread yet but i had a false low coolant code a few weeks ago-dont know what the number was but it wasnt this one. i googled it and it say three things.
-low coolant level
-engine cooling something or other
-pcm timer rationality

i dont know if this is what is causing my problems but i think im going to replace the coolant level and coolant temp sensors.

i found a thread on dodge talk forum...a guy on there had the same truck as me with that code but there were only two posts and the fix was not on there. i emailed the guy and asked so hopefully i can get some info.

unless someone has heard anything about this code on here...?

guess i'll just wait and see...

Old 07-31-2012, 09:55 PM
Jesse holbert

Well, i finally got around to tearing into this and found the problem right away. Turns out the transmission filter (not the spin on cooler return filter) had split down the side. The black plastic top section was bulging out of the metal under side. I have no idea what caused it other than it was a made in China piece of crap from advance auto parts. Replaced it today and have since put about 50 miles on her and no signs of trouble...yet. Don't know how seeing as the failed filers was allowing unfiltered fluid to enter the transmission. I took lots of pictures, kept the junk one, and even kept a fluid sample in case i do have an issue. Advance will be hearing from me if so. Looks like nothing but Oem for me from now on. Thanks to all who commented.

Also recently installed a 4" suspension lift with 20x10 chrome wheels 33x12.5 on the way. I'll post a pic when i do.

Quick Reply: 2008 mega cab 1500 4x4 tcc issue?? need help/advice