3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Terrible Gas Mileage After Towing.......

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 06:25 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Try to find the code. That should at least point you in the right direction. I got tired of going to the parts store everytime I got a CEL on one of my vehicles, so I finally just caught one on sale and bought it. Has come in handy. Can also use it to reset codes without having to pull the battery cable.

Stupid question, but I assume tranny seems normal and you are hitting overdrive when you should? RPM's seem normal and all that? Just curious if "stuck" in tow mode or something crazy like that.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:56 PM
mbramble

Everything feels and sounds normal -- good idle, no skipping or stumbling, tranny shifts correctly. I let the truck coast in neutral today and thought it wasn't gonna ever stop so the brakes don't seem to be hanging. I have always paid close attention to gas mileage. Nothing seems amiss - except for the CEL showing up twice, and that was a couple weeks after the tow and after the MPG had gone down. So, I don't know if the CEL and the MPG reduction have anything to do with each other. MPG decrease definitely came after the towing day, though.

I have a new set of plugs and will probably install them tomorrow. Will also try to get back to Autozone or somewhere soon to see about having them read any stored codes.

Thanks,
Mike

Old 03-27-2012, 11:49 AM
BWhelan
Professional

Good luck and keep us posted.

Quick Reply: Terrible Gas Mileage After Towing.......