3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Question about Brakes

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2012, 11:03 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe rear ABD equip trucks have the ABS module between battery and firewall. 4wheel ABS has another module between the backside of the radiator and the pass side header which controls the front ABS

If your trailer does not have any brakes, it's very possible your truck could skid coming to a harder stop. If you have the stock crappy Wrangler HP tires, doesn't surprise me a bit.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:41 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few days ago I was doing 60mph on the freeway about 3 or 4 car lengths behind the next car. They hit there brakes hard and I did too. I did not slam on them though. Just harder than normal braking. My front tires instantly locked up and I started pumping them to keep them from staying locked but they did. I was just lucky the car in front of my did not hit their brakes any harder. Is it possible there is something wrong with my brakes.. like fronts are grabbing too hard. I do not have front ABS, but I have also not ever had this problem in trucks before without ABS either. My front tires are really messed up now too from skidding so long. Any suggestions, or is this normal and I will just have to stay even farther back from vehicles?

Old 07-22-2012, 11:21 AM
catfish621
Amateur

1 car length for every 10 miles and hour minumum.

Old 07-22-2012, 10:45 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

^^^ Try tell that to the idiots around here

Old 07-23-2012, 03:34 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Well the point is, I can not keep the damn truck from locking up. It should not be doing that. I dont know exactly how far back I was, way more than I normally do, but I did not brake hard enough to have locked up. Just like when I was towing a trailer, I was braking normally for towing a trailer coming up to a yellow light and it was not slowing down quick enough so I hit them a little harder and it just locked up and I was sliding. There is something wrong with it, and you all seem to not know anything or just have some stupid comment to say. Try helping people instead of getting on them.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:09 PM
loflyer2
Professional

Dodgeram, I had similar problem when I first got my truck. When I got new tires I went with a larger size (265 vice 245 stock) and noticed big improvement in braking performance.

Old 07-23-2012, 04:34 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Maybe I'm missing something but you said yourself you don't have front ABS and that your front wheels lock up when you hit the brakes hard. Sounds normal to me if you don't have front ABS. Maybe you should wiggle your toes when when hit the brakes...... Seriously, wiggle your toes.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:44 AM
hemi4109
Veteran

If it's that bad there must be improper braking by the back wheels or something going on. Even in the winter, I can get the front wheels to stick a fair bit with no ABS. I don't know why Dodge insisted on this standard rear only ABS crap for so long as there's no way the rear ABS ever comes on my truck unless I shift into neutral first. There's just not enough braking force applied back there to ever lock them up, even in the winter. The front wheels provide most of the braking but in your case it seems like they might be providing all of it.

Last edited by hemi4109; 07-24-2012 at 12:39 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 04:51 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It is also possible that the rear calipers are seized.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:34 PM
dodgeram0328
Rookie

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Maybe I'm missing something but you said yourself you don't have front ABS and that your front wheels lock up when you hit the brakes hard. Sounds normal to me if you don't have front ABS. Maybe you should wiggle your toes when when hit the brakes...... Seriously, wiggle your toes.
Well I said I was not hitting them very hard. Not my first time driving a truck with out front ABS and never had this problem. I should not be locking up with medium to hard braking. Let's use are head here and quit being a moron. Ya maybe I should wiggle my toes, I bet that will work. I mean pumping the brakes to keep from staying locked did not work, why wouldn't wiggling my toes. If you don't have something helpful to say then don't. I am not in the mood for your S***.

Anyways, for everyone else that actually helped, I was thinking my rear brakes were not working to their full potential either. I get really bad brake dust up front coating my front rims. Front rotors are very shinny and you can tell they are overheating and pads are at about half life. Rear rotors and great and pads are almost 100%. I have had the truck for about 10 months and it had new brakes all four when I bought it. There is something wrong, I just can't figure it out and dodge just tells me they can't find anything wrong. Same with my really bad shaking when I drive 75mph on the interstate or just towing a trailer at 55mph plus. Any way to test to see if rear brakes are working to their full potential? Thanks for any help

Quick Reply: Question about Brakes