3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-05-2015, 08:47 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

upgrading stereo to nav system, what do I need?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2012, 11:20 PM
jamesampm
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default upgrading stereo to nav system, what do I need?

Hi, I have looked on the forums and all it did was confuse me or give me half of what I needed to know. Can someone help me out?

I have an 08 1500 slt quad cab with the infinity 6 disc, 7 seaker stereo. I want to add either a dodge or an aftermarket stereo with the navigation system. What will and will not work and what do I need to make it work correctly. Do I need adapters and such?

I would like to have a system with a hard drive and ipod support while having it work with the stock speakers and the steering wheel controls.

Thanks in advance, and if you need more information or have questions, I will try to answer everything you need.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:00 AM
NV290
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I added the Dodge factory Nav system to my 06'. It was a direct plug in. Not a single wire to cut or splice. The GPS antenna mounts under the dash below the cetner vent. It too was a simple install. So long as you choose a factory unit that was offered in your year, it will be a simple plug in. The only other thing you will need is a new radio bezel. TONS of sellers on Ebay for them. I then bought an Ipod interface for it that also just plugs in.

Total install time for everything was under 30 minutes. 4 screws and 4 plugs, done. I know the radio changed in 08', but the install is the same.

Old 04-12-2012, 12:19 AM
jamesampm

Originally Posted by NV290
I added the Dodge factory Nav system to my 06'. It was a direct plug in. Not a single wire to cut or splice. The GPS antenna mounts under the dash below the cetner vent. It too was a simple install. So long as you choose a factory unit that was offered in your year, it will be a simple plug in. The only other thing you will need is a new radio bezel. TONS of sellers on Ebay for them. I then bought an Ipod interface for it that also just plugs in.

Total install time for everything was under 30 minutes. 4 screws and 4 plugs, done. I know the radio changed in 08', but the install is the same.
is there somewhere I can see what models were offered in my year? Do any of them have a hard drive, usb, ipod or aux ?

thanks again!

Old 04-12-2012, 12:27 AM
jamesampm

I see this one on ebay that says it works on "2008 Ram (all models) (ONLY with our MYGIG Adapter)" will it work with my setup?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/DODGE-CHRYSL...ht_6426wt_1185

Im just confused with the infinity system, I thought I read somewhere that some systems dont work with it.

I also see this doesnt have Nav

Old 04-12-2012, 11:13 AM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by jamesampm
I see this one on ebay that says it works on "2008 Ram (all models) (ONLY with our MYGIG Adapter)" will it work with my setup?

Im just confused with the infinity system, I thought I read somewhere that some systems dont work with it.

Technically that will work if they have an adapter worth a damn. It will not work with either radio bezel that I am aware, as the MyGig was not an option in the '06-08 RAMs, so you would have to fabricate or modify one. The short answer: the REC was the only nav unit designed to fit and work in the RAM. Plug and play with a nav radio bezel and GPS antenna. I know, because I put one in my truck and it works great. There is no hdd option, but there is a (pretty expensive) iPod adapter kit made by Mopar. Honestly, if you want those features, get the nav bezel and an aftermarket touchscreen and some adapters for your Infinity system. It will sound better and be cheaper.

Old 04-12-2012, 11:38 AM
jamesampm

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
Technically that will work if they have an adapter worth a damn. It will not work with either radio bezel that I am aware, as the MyGig was not an option in the '06-08 RAMs, so you would have to fabricate or modify one. The short answer: the REC was the only nav unit designed to fit and work in the RAM. Plug and play with a nav radio bezel and GPS antenna. I know, because I put one in my truck and it works great. There is no hdd option, but there is a (pretty expensive) iPod adapter kit made by Mopar. Honestly, if you want those features, get the nav bezel and an aftermarket touchscreen and some adapters for your Infinity system. It will sound better and be cheaper.
thanks, this is the info Im looking for. I dont think I would want the one you are talking about, the REC. Without a Hard Drive I dont see the use in upgrading.

So if I go the aftermarket way, I will need the following, and that is it?
bezel
aftermarket stereo (any recommendations?)
adapter for infinity system... where can I find these?

will this work with my steering wheel controls as well?

Old 04-12-2012, 12:10 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

You'll need this PAC C2R-CHY4 radio adapter, this AM/FM antenna adapter, and this double DIN radio adapter, in addition to this bezel type (your color may vary).

What radio you get really depends on what you like and what you feel comfortable installing. I have always liked the Alpine INA-W910 and the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT. Look at the well-equipped-but-not-quite-as-top-of-the-line Pioneer AVIC-X930BT if you want to save some pennies and still get a good bang for your buck.

Old 04-12-2012, 01:38 PM
jamesampm

Originally Posted by Brandon Anderson
You'll need this PAC C2R-CHY4 radio adapter, this AM/FM antenna adapter, and this double DIN radio adapter, in addition to this bezel type (your color may vary).

What radio you get really depends on what you like and what you feel comfortable installing. I have always liked the Alpine INA-W910 and the Pioneer AVIC-Z130BT. Look at the well-equipped-but-not-quite-as-top-of-the-line Pioneer AVIC-X930BT if you want to save some pennies and still get a good bang for your buck.
so looking at your posts, it looks like I have no option if I want a system with a hard drive in it.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:08 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

so looking at your posts, it looks like I have no option if I want a system with a hard drive in it.
Not necessarily. I've never researched them before, just threw out the first few nav units that came to mind. There's the Pioneer AVIC-Z2, but it's kinda old, and the space reserved for storage is a mere 10gb. Oddly enough, it doesn't seem that manufacturers are tripping over themselves to bring hdd systems to market. There looks like there are more options straight from the vehicle makers themselves than in the aftermarket. I never noticed that until just now.

Old 04-12-2012, 03:31 PM
jamesampm

well I talked to the owner of that company and he stated that these are the items that I need to make it work. So if anyone else wants to do the same thing, these are the things you will need to get. You can probably get all of these from whatever source you want but I will be going with this guy because he helped me out.

You can use a Mygig RER 4401 (730n) receiver
the standard Ram navigation radio bezel
a Mygig adapter bezel to fill in the difference in size on decks.
and the Mygig adapter kit, which also actts as a lockpick from what I read

He said this will work no problem, but maybe Im getting a sales pitch.. I dont know. If anyone wants the link to the site I can give it to you.

Last edited by jamesampm; 04-12-2012 at 03:58 PM.

Quick Reply: upgrading stereo to nav system, what do I need?