3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

clutch issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2012, 07:49 PM
croga001
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default clutch issues

Hi guys i have an 06 with72k on it . It has been worse now trying to get it to shift. It feels like you have to push the pedal half way sown just to fet some pressure. I was wondering if there is a way to bleed this system? The fluid level is good so im not sure what the issue is. Any help much appreciated!

Old 05-16-2012, 11:26 PM
croga001

New development when i got in the last time i pushed the clutch in about 20.... times before i tried to move it with the truck running and it seemed to stiffen up. After that i could get the truck to shift gears quite easily. Does thwt mean there was air in the line that was worked out somehow?

Old 05-17-2012, 09:01 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I believe there is a manual adjustment of the pedal. When you pull the pedal by hand out as far as it will go, it will set itself to highest setting. That's how Ford is anyways.
Air doesn't egt in the lines for any good reason. Most likely the reason for your pedal needing to be down low is from your pressure plate fingers being worn. They get worn from repeatedly pressing in the clutch, and from sitting in traffic with the clutch pushed in for minutes at a time. If you drive locally more than highway, truck clutches don't generally last that long. Sure some may last longer than others, but it depends on how you drive, what you tow and if you keep it pressed in to sit at a traffic light.

Last edited by dirtydog; 05-17-2012 at 09:05 AM.
Old 05-18-2012, 02:51 PM
croga001

Yea im not hard on clutches aside from towing heavy loads a few days a year. I have only had this truck 4 or 5 months so far though so im not sure what kind of life it had previously

Old 05-18-2012, 04:37 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Uhhhhhmmmm,
If you have a hydraulic clutch, its self adjusting. It may need the trans fluid changed. I have 172k on mine and its getting difficult to shift, I'm sure its due to mileage, but I'm not ready to rebuild it yet---when the synchros are gone, I'll worry about it.

Old 05-19-2012, 10:22 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Gone Fishin
Uhhhhhmmmm,
If you have a hydraulic clutch, its self adjusting. It may need the trans fluid changed. I have 172k on mine and its getting difficult to shift, I'm sure its due to mileage, but I'm not ready to rebuild it yet---when the synchros are gone, I'll worry about it.
So, your gonna wait until you break your transmission rather than installing a new clutch? That's pretty silly.
The Pressure plate has sring loaded fingers that push the clutch plate away from the flywheel to allow you to shift. Once the springs get fatigued on the pressure plate, your pedal, which pushes on the fingers, don't retract all the way which causes binding and difficult shifting. A new presure plate is needed. Everyone replaces the clutch disc at the same time as well as resurfacing their flywheel.
Allowing your transmission to break syncros because you don't want to change your clutch sounds pretty silly after that doesn't it? it should....
Clutches aren't meant to last for 200kmi, especially in a truck.

Old 05-20-2012, 09:42 PM
davb673
Veteran

Originally Posted by croga001
New development when i got in the last time i pushed the clutch in about 20.... times before i tried to move it with the truck running and it seemed to stiffen up. After that i could get the truck to shift gears quite easily. Does thwt mean there was air in the line that was worked out somehow?
I'm new to hydraulic clutches, but it seems if you got it to pump up, there may have been air in the plumbing, or there's a small leak somewhere. What condition do the master and slave cylinders look like? You indicate this was a used vehicle; it may be the previous owner liked to ride the clutch in intersections...wearing the fingers down like DirtyDog said.

Any of you fellas slip-shift? When I had a stick shift, nearly the only time I used the clutch was at stoplights. The rest of the time I shifted like big-rig drivers do. Just match the rpms to the gear you want and ease it into gear. Probably not your best bet for street racing though...

Old 05-25-2012, 08:27 PM
croga001

Haha yea dont plan on racing anyone in this truck but soon ill probably put a new clutch pressure plate and all that good stuff in. All the lines and slave are good and since i dont know when the cluch was last replaced ill just get new stuff. Do you guys recomend oem stuff or is aftermarket a better bet?

Old 05-26-2012, 06:22 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

South Bend clutch, custom built kevlar disc, higher clamping force pressure plates
Don't forget the flywheel MUST be faced and the pilot bearing should be replaced also. Replace the throwout and inspect the fork, sometimes cracks develop.

Inspect the pilot end of the input shaft for ANY flaws as it is the inside race for the pilot bearing.

My original pilot went out on my g56 which nearly ruined the end of the crankshaft, and I ended up replaceing the input shaft for my transmission-------what really sucked is the clutch itself was fine but I replaced it anyway

Good Luck---don't wait too long

Old 05-27-2012, 09:13 AM
croga001

Yea next month or so ill either do it or have a shop so it. I dont put many miles on it over the summer months.

Quick Reply: clutch issues