3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Verify for Me on Fluids for Rear/Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2012, 08:52 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The magnet should be there - in the middle at the bottom. It doesn't stick up very far. You should be able to feel it and when you drag your fingers across it, you'll likely pull back with some sludge that has some fine metal shavings in it. Reach in there with a shop rag and wipe it off real good.

The RTV should be fairly straightforward. Run a bead all the way around and bolt the cover back on. Make sure to let it set.

Old 06-23-2012, 08:20 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneymc
Ok, so I removed my rear diff cover. I heard mention of a magnet suppose to be in there, but I have none. How crucial is this?

Also, does anyone have a picture showing best way to put the new rtv back on the cover before installing?

I running back to the parts store to get some rtv remover, forgot it earlier. Check back here when I return.
rtv remover?, use a razor blade to scrape old stuff off. Spray brake cleaner on the old rtv and give it 5min to eat it all up to mush and then wipe it all off with a rag.
New rtv, squirt a small bead all way around(i like to loop the bolt holes), let it sit for 5-10min and put it on. Use medium loctite on the bolts or put a very small dab of rtv on the threads. This holds the bolts inplace because you cannot overtighten or you'll squish all the rtv out. You want to see the rtv start to squish out evenly. if you have applied it evenly. Once it starts to squish out, your done and as long as all bolts are evenly torqued. I use my judgment on most sealant covers so I cannot tell you what to torque them to.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:07 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ewing111
THANK YOU!! You can find all the maintenance info scattered around, but it would be real nice to have most everything all in one spot. You da man.

I'll have to work on it somemore to try and get the spaces etc all taken out. PDF does funny stuff when you try and edit.
Maintenance Spec/intervals in the FAQ section for all to view. There is more I'd like to add, but I'll do that at another time.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...nce-specs.html

Old 06-23-2012, 10:11 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

Got front, rear, and transfer case fluids done last night. Came out good I think, at least no leaks. Torqued bolts to 41 nm per service manual, let sit bout an hour before adding fluid. Gonna go check it this morning, ensure no leaks as this was my first ever DIY fluid change in a diff. Ended up getting a good deal on some RP so used it in diffs. Rear held right at 2 bottles, made it little below fill hole. Front about same, but had little more left over even filling it to bottom of fill hole. Front harder to do because of clearances. Transfer case held just under 2 quarts as well. All in all not bad just time consuming.

Yeah thought I read somewhere about rtv remover, but no parts store had it. Basically did what you suggested dirty dog. Next time I don't think I would go the full torque on them, as it seems very tight. I think I stripped one bolt on the front, but for now it's holding fluid, so just gonna watch and see.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:42 AM
kenneymc
Veteran

I also want to add that even though my rear is LSD, I did not add any LSD additive with the royal purple. Drove it around about 15 miles, did some figure 8's, etc. I didn't notice any abnormal noises.

Old 06-23-2012, 10:43 AM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

I think I've seen RTV remover but it's not necessary. Brake cleaner will eat it up. I was able to get it off with a putty knife and then just go back and do a light cleaning to both sides. Congrats on getting it done.

Quick Reply: Verify for Me on Fluids for Rear/Front End