3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Verify for Me on Fluids for Rear/Front End

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2012, 01:31 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Verify for Me on Fluids for Rear/Front End

I know this has been been beat around a lot on here and I have read most of the posts about it, but for my clarification, please help me ensure I am right.

Plan to change the front and rear diff fluids on my 2003 Ram. Build sheet from Dodge shows: DJMS 205MM HD Front Axle
DMDS 3.55 Rear Axle Ratio
DRBS Corporate 9.25 LD Rear Axle
DSA Anti-Spin Differential Rear Axle
Glove box sticker confirms same. So what I am assuming is "anti spin" = LSD.

What I was going to use is: front - 75W90 (synthetic) 3.5 pints
rear - 75W140 (synthetic) with 4 oz of friction modifier (or as manual calls it "limited slip additive"). 4.9 pints

Have not settled on a brand yet, but am considering RP, MOB 1.

Does this all sound correct????

Old 06-18-2012, 02:37 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

Kenney, check the thread below from back when I was getting ready to service my diffs - your answers should be there. Keep in mind you should be able to take back any unopened containers if you end up with more than you needed. But hard to go back and get more if you run short with your diffs opened up. I don't remember front or back, or both, but I ended up with unopened leftovers and Advance Auto took back what I didn't use, no problem. The capacity is actually whatever the diffs will hold up to the bottom of the fill holes with the truck sitting on level ground - so don't get thrown too much by capacities - unless something is just way off for some reason.

By the way - I ended up going with Royal Purple. I don't think you can go wrong with that stuff in any hole in the truck they make something to go in.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/3rd-gen...questions.html

Old 06-18-2012, 08:23 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Yeah I'm thinking bout going with RP too. Since I have LSD, do I need the additive? RP shows it already has an additive for LSD.

Old 06-18-2012, 09:01 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneymc
Yeah I'm thinking bout going with RP too. Since I have LSD, do I need the additive? RP shows it already has an additive for LSD.

I'm gonna create a Complete Maintenance Thread for the Ram so all answers like this can be answered. makes the forum dead..lol but helps you out when need.

Most Fully Synthetic fluid has friction modifier in already.
you need to buy 2qts 75w-90 for front and 3qts for the rear(you'll have extra for both). Fill to 1/4" below fill hole. I think spec says 9/16 or 1/2" depending on year because they couldnt make up their mind..haha i do 1/4" below-fill hole personally.

Front never gets modifier and I doubt you need it for rear. I never added it and do alot of heavy towing with zero chatter. less is more with modifier because you can burn up your pack with too much and never even realize.

Dont forget about ATF+$ for the transfercase. 3qts should do'er and have extra

Last edited by dirtydog; 06-18-2012 at 09:03 PM.
Old 06-18-2012, 09:22 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Well I just saw the cost of RP vs Mob 1 gear oil. 21 vs 11 dollars a bottle. WOW! Is it worth it? May just go with Mob 1 .

Old 06-18-2012, 09:23 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Oh and thanks guys for responses.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:07 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by kenneymc
Well I just saw the cost of RP vs Mob 1 gear oil. 21 vs 11 dollars a bottle. WOW! Is it worth it? May just go with Mob 1 .

Nah.. Nope. Especially if you keep up on maintenance. At that price, you can change twice as frequent. it's like trying to compare the difference between Tropicana grape juice and Welch's Grape juice. Minor difference, same overall satisfaction...lol
sorry, couldnt think of anything else. You get my drift.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:22 PM
04HemiGreg
Record Breaker

A lot of guys around here seem to run with mob 1 and i agree that it is fine if you change it when you should. But i am the guy that intends to do it on time and then dont seem to get around to it when i should have. So having the quality stuff gives a little peace of mind for me. Thats why i use synthetic oil now as well. I want to change it at 5k but it seems to be 6k before i get around to doing it.

Old 06-18-2012, 11:20 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dirtydog
I'm gonna create a Complete Maintenance Thread for the Ram so all answers like this can be answered. makes the forum dead..lol but helps you out when need.

Most Fully Synthetic fluid has friction modifier in already.
you need to buy 2qts 75w-90 for front and 3qts for the rear(you'll have extra for both). Fill to 1/4" below fill hole. I think spec says 9/16 or 1/2" depending on year because they couldnt make up their mind..haha i do 1/4" below-fill hole personally.

Front never gets modifier and I doubt you need it for rear. I never added it and do alot of heavy towing with zero chatter. less is more with modifier because you can burn up your pack with too much and never even realize.

Dont forget about ATF+$ for the transfercase. 3qts should do'er and have extra

THANK YOU!! You can find all the maintenance info scattered around, but it would be real nice to have most everything all in one spot. You da man.

Old 06-22-2012, 06:03 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Ok, so I removed my rear diff cover. I heard mention of a magnet suppose to be in there, but I have none. How crucial is this?

Also, does anyone have a picture showing best way to put the new rtv back on the cover before installing?

I running back to the parts store to get some rtv remover, forgot it earlier. Check back here when I return.

Quick Reply: Verify for Me on Fluids for Rear/Front End