3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

04 hemi acting strange!?!?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 05:01 AM
HEMIBOY04
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 04 hemi acting strange!?!?

I have a 04 hemi 4x4 QC (auto) the only thing i've done to it is exhaust and a k&n filter. I just got home from driving around (no racing or driving like an ***) there was a wreck up ahead on the road i was going on and a cop was behind me and got on her LOUD speaker and yelled at me to switch lanes i didn't notice her behind me before that so it kinda made me jump so i gunned it to switch lanes well right when i put the pedal down the rpms jumped to 4k the exhaust got loud as usual but it was like i was outside the truck pushing it to the right lane it was insanly slugish like it was going to die out or something. i drive with the tow/haul on in the city only so i thought maybe it was that i turned it off and jumped on the highway and decided to see if that was the problem. when i gunned it again the same thing happened. Has anyone else had this problem? When i shift it myself it acts perfectly fine... i'm confused

Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 AM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: 04 hemi acting strange!?!?

Sounds like maybe the tranny wasn't dropping into gear, or the converter wasn't ingauging. Gotta love the 7/70 warranty. Let us know what you find out.

Old 08-20-2005, 03:40 PM
jeeperman

I had the same thing happen to my 04 2500. First time at 1k miles and the secind time at 19k. I took it to the dealer both time and they could not find any problem...no codes. I was on the freeway traveling at 55 mph and punched it to get around merging traffic...it downshifted and ran up to about 4k rpm and just went flat. Since it was intermittant I'm thinking a sticking solenoid in the trans.

The HEMI didn't quite do the job pulling our travel trailer through the mountains so I traded it on an 05 CTD 3500....problem solved.

Stay after the dealer and make sure they document the problem on the service ticket, you may need it later.

Old 08-20-2005, 08:34 PM
HEMIBOY04
Professional

good/sad to know that i'm not the only one that's having this problem. When i first got the truck back in october 03 it didn't even have 1k miles on it before it started acting weird then i heard the recall about the valves i took it in and they fixed it right away. I can compare this problem to the valve problem just because of the same dying out putting feel it has when i punched it. My dad didn't believe that it did that so earlier today i told him to drive it and hit the gas sure enough it did the same thing to him. this time it backfired it sounded like the whole back half blew off (it was that loud) i'm taking it in monday to see what's up. apparently my dad has just paid a bunch of money to get a tune up and they changed the tranny fluid too. so if things turn sour we'll just blame them haha. I bought the truck up in denver and my local dodge is worthless. I'll save that for another post though

Old 08-20-2005, 10:33 PM
stickshiftsrule

I just recently heard about this problem on another dodge forum.........
Apparently, the shifter was not completely in the "drive" position.
That is why your hemi is "dying" at 4000rpm. Because the rev-limiter (for neutral) is kicking in.
Next time this happens try checking the lever to make sure it's "all the way" into the "D" slot.

I almost got a hemi-automatic when I got my 05'...........
But I just could not stand DCX's tourque managment program........[X(]

Anyway........hope this solves your problem!

Old 08-21-2005, 09:13 AM
HEMIBOY04
Professional

hey bro thanx for the tip. I was going to post the shift lever being possesed but i didn't want to sound stupid. Sometimes during the day when i'm driving i'll notice my lever drop like someone slammed it down usually when it shifts into 3rd at about 2500rpm. I'll check to see if that's my problem. if it's halfway in/out of drive and neutral wouldn't it make a strange grinding noise or react like it was locked into N without moving at all (just reving) when this problem happend the truck would move just in a senior citizens kinda way! That's kinda scary knowing more trucks have this problem and can neutral drop at any given time. my truck is like the car in the movie christine. hmmm, maybe if i wreck it'll fix itself

Quick Reply: 04 hemi acting strange!?!?