3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Feels like someone hitting the brakes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 06:24 AM
shane rogers
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

im having that same issue but mine didnt give a 700? code , it keeps giving me the crankshaft pos. sensor and camshaft pos. sensor codes, even tho ive replaced them both twice, ive cleand the tb thuroughly , ive put in new fuel pump pcv valve, mass airflow sensor , plugs and wires , i ran seafoam thru it twice . . umm . . new alternator , new battry new ignition switch ,new keylock cylinder , oil changes with the correct and recomended oil and , oil filter ,air filter , wheel speed sensors , all 4 oxygen sensors, new egr valve, and still has to crank over EXCCESIVELY before itll startup and go imediately into limp mode and run like crap. i mean its got 197,000 miles on it but until this wierd acting problem it ran like it was brand new. no smoking no hesitation nuthin , until like over night it seemed to happen . i dont know?

Old 09-24-2012, 06:31 AM
shane rogers

ive owned this truck since it had like 5 miles on the odometer and its been awesome but im at my witts end , please , any help would be greatly appreciated

Old 09-24-2012, 09:26 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by shane rogers
im having that same issue but mine didnt give a 700? code , it keeps giving me the crankshaft pos. sensor and camshaft pos. sensor codes, even tho ive replaced them both twice, ive cleand the tb thuroughly , ive put in new fuel pump pcv valve, mass airflow sensor , plugs and wires , i ran seafoam thru it twice . . umm . . new alternator , new battry new ignition switch ,new keylock cylinder , oil changes with the correct and recomended oil and , oil filter ,air filter , wheel speed sensors , all 4 oxygen sensors, new egr valve, and still has to crank over EXCCESIVELY before itll startup and go imediately into limp mode and run like crap. i mean its got 197,000 miles on it but until this wierd acting problem it ran like it was brand new. no smoking no hesitation nuthin , until like over night it seemed to happen . i dont know?
Well if your car's timing is off (due to sensor failures) you would need to check the timing, and most likely bring the car back to OEM Specs.

All of your symptoms point to incorrect timing.

In some cars/trucks even one degree off can make a significant difference.

If I was you, I would just go ahead and do the timing belt, oil pump & water pump, along with a coolant flush/change.

But your first step should be to get a timing light and check your timing at idle against what it is suppose to be.

Let us know how that works out.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:38 PM
kenneymc
Veteran

Shane, what you posted sounds like issues I have heard of before on other type vehicles. I have heard of defective ecm's causing this sort of issue. Maybe plain out defective or bad solder joints on the board.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:46 PM
sabin420
Captain

CHANGE THE TIMING CHAIN!!!!! LOOK AT MY PICTURES. Happened at 199983 miles. I had that problem happen only a few times. Not but a few days later, timing chain jumped sprocket and bent the whole valve train. Every last push rod, every last valve bent to hell and back.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:50 PM
sabin420
Captain

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/members...uck-16342.html

No smoking, no noise. Just occasionally felt like someone hit the brakes real hard, then it would take off. Out of nowhere, boom! no more engine. Never leaked oil before or after. Never smoked. Never ticked even on cold startups on cold mornings.

Old 09-24-2012, 09:57 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Yeah but Sabin420, why didnt you change the timing chain almost 100k sooner?

Old 09-24-2012, 10:04 PM
sabin420
Captain

Cause I didn't But coming from first hand experience, If you are almost at 200K miles and just starting to have an issue with the motor, change the timing chain and save yourself $3000 for a used motor or $1800 to rebuild the old...Minimum! The chain costs $80 or something like that. Easy to do for a halfway skilled mechanic and DIYers. Don't be retarded like me. Get it changed.

Old 09-24-2012, 10:09 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by sabin420
Cause I didn't But coming from first hand experience, If you are almost at 200K miles and just starting to have an issue with the motor, change the timing chain and save yourself $3000 for a used motor or $1800 to rebuild the old...Minimum! The chain costs $80 or something like that. Easy to do for a halfway skilled mechanic and DIYers. Don't be retarded like me. Get it changed.
Words of wisdom right there guys!!

Old 09-24-2012, 10:12 PM
sabin420
Captain

Unless you need a reason to tell the old lady why you need to buy that performance cam, chrome molly push rods, HP rocker arm set, racing valves and valve springs, and port the cylinder heads....let it brake. LOL

Quick Reply: Feels like someone hitting the brakes.