3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2002 4.7 overheating

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 05:02 PM
Mpatience
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2002 4.7 overheating

I am new here so I hope that I am posting in the correct place. If not please direct me to the correct spot for my question.
Ok I have a 2002 4.7 magnum 1500 single cab pick up. I love my truck but for the past few weeks i have been having issues with overheating. I do not have any experience with mechanics but I am very mechanically inclined so I started a bit of research and just kinda started to trying to eliminate possibility. First I pulled the thermostat to see if that was keeping coolant from getting through but still had over heated. Next I replace the water pump cause the weep hole looked like it might have had a bit of coolant coming out, still no success. then I noticed that the fan was not speeding up when I would pull the throttle. so I replaced the fan clutch, now It is cooling much better and I can get around town but if I am on the interstate or moving for a extended amount of time it starts to over heat. I have not allowed it to get to redline but it gets close. I have burped the engine twice by starting it cold with the rad cap off and letting it warm up also squeezing the upper rad hose. and letting it run like this for about 30to 40 min. also replaced the rad cap just to be safe. Ive checked the oil and it does not apear to have any coolant in it and I am blowing no white smoke.. no smoke at all for that matter. I am at my wits end and to broke to bring it to a garage. Any one have any thoughts or suggestions on what might be going on?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:17 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You have check the oil for coolant and not blowing any smoke but are you finding yourself low on coolant at any time when you check it?

Are both your upper and lower rad hoses HOT? Any cold spots on the radiator anywhere?

Old 07-01-2012, 11:30 PM
Mpatience

Originally Posted by weedahoe
You have check the oil for coolant and not blowing any smoke but are you finding yourself low on coolant at any time when you check it?

The coolant is staying at the same level.

Are both your upper and lower rad hoses HOT? Any cold spots on the radiator anywhere?
The upper hose is deff hot, and I believe the lower is. Ill have to check that. I have not checked the radiator for cool spots. I will do both tomorrow.

would cool spots on the radiator be a sign that the radiator is bad?

Also I just remembered one of the times I drained the system I got a bunch of sand looking crap in the drain pan. But I have drained it again since and have not gotten that again.

Thank you for your response.

Old 07-01-2012, 11:33 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Did you buy this truck new? If not, how long ago did you buy it? I ask because of the material you say (sand like) came out of the rad and into your pan. maybe someone used something like top leak?

As for cool spots, the indicate a spot in the rad where it is blocked and coolant not flowing through it

Old 07-02-2012, 10:31 AM
Mpatience

I bought the truck used six years ago. I bought it from a roomate who did buy it new, so I know the history. He never put any thing in it. The sand like stuff happened once. When I drained it again the next day everything looked normal in the drain pan.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:00 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

With it being an '02 my guess is the radiator is clogged, about ten years is all you realistically get from these aluminum and plastic radiators...

Old 07-02-2012, 04:13 PM
Mpatience

I checked both upper and lower hose, they both hare hot. The radiator seems to have no cool spots. Not that I can tell.

Is there any way to tell if the radiator is clogged? And is there anyway to unclog it if it clogged? Are does it mean a new radiator?

Thanks for ya help fellas.

Old 07-02-2012, 04:24 PM
Mpatience

just did a google search on unclogging a radiator, seems easy enough. famous last words...

Old 07-02-2012, 09:47 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member

Well if your rad is hot and both hoses are hot then coolant is circulating which means no clog, water pump is pushing coolant and the stat is opening to allow coolant to circulate. After that I would start looking at head gaskets

Quick Reply: 2002 4.7 overheating