3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Transmission Shift Selenoid

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2012, 09:11 PM
js007051
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission Shift Selenoid

I was driving my 08 dodge ram automatic hemi last night and my transmission light came on... It was real sluggish from the get go probably in 3rd or 4th gear...I took it to autozone and it threw me p0750. Took it to tranny shop they said they were going to replace the shift selenoid 500 bucks... But they said it was a gamble if this was going to work or not..WTF should i spend the money and hope it works?

Old 07-10-2012, 06:56 PM
Sniperbull

It could also be the TCM, Just had it done on mine. ran me like 400 for my 2003 1500. Although, yours might be a bit more seeing as yours is newer.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:13 PM
mmranch_tx

Originally Posted by js007051
I was driving my 08 dodge ram automatic hemi last night and my transmission light came on... It was real sluggish from the get go probably in 3rd or 4th gear...I took it to autozone and it threw me p0750. Took it to tranny shop they said they were going to replace the shift selenoid 500 bucks... But they said it was a gamble if this was going to work or not..WTF should i spend the money and hope it works?

Price seems a little high, if all they're replacing is the 'shift solenoid'.... Did they say which one or ones... ? (I assume that also includes gaskets, filter, fluid ...). I'm pricing repair parts for mine (98 Ram 2500), Governor Pressure Solenoid (upgraded Borg part), Pressure & temperature Sensor, OD w/TCC Solenoid assembly, Output Speed Sensor, plus filter and gaskets... Parts only runs around $200.00. This does not include ATF (at ~$5/Qt) or my labor ...

Just my $0.02 worth

Old 07-11-2012, 02:23 AM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

Tell them you will pay them to repair it correctly, not to replace parts at your expense until they replace the right part. Parts and labor at a shop are are not free nor cheap.

Any shade tree can replace parts until he replaces the right one

Old 07-11-2012, 05:03 PM
mmranch_tx
Smile

Originally Posted by weedahoe
Tell them you will pay them to repair it correctly, not to replace parts at your expense until they replace the right part. Parts and labor at a shop are are not free nor cheap.

Any shade tree can replace parts until he replaces the right one

Good point(s) Weed,

Reading, learning and doing it yourself may save a bunch (time and money) not to mention the knowledge and personal satisfaction gained by fixing yourself, but it doesn't always make up for using an experienced and qualified ASE certified mechanic or shop. This is not to say that all shade trees are worthless, nor that all paid mechanics are qualified... I've met a full range of individuals in both arenas. The knowledge gained by reading, learning, Q&A forums, expert guidance, and DIY... helps to ensure you know a little bit more about your vehicle and don't fall prey to those unscrupulous ones out there ... or the DIY "replace parts until you fix the problem" syndrome.

just my $0.02 worth....

Mark

Old 07-14-2012, 08:43 AM
stratusr/t02
Rookie

Just got my truck back, solenoid bad trans fluid and filter changed the cost was 618.00 dollars.

Quick Reply: Transmission Shift Selenoid