3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Weatherstrip damage by door... poor design!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2005, 11:30 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Weatherstrip damage by door... poor design!

Hey Guys,
If you spray the seals with a dry silicone lubricant or use a light silicone grease it really helps prevent the tearing and sticking---Ya I know, You shouldn't have to do that, especially when its new, I agree with you 100%---but, this is a necessitity if you live in cold country to keep them from freezing down and sticking, then tearing. Get the TSB, get em replaced, even if you do it yourself, then coat them with some form of silicone. You'll have much less trouble.

Old 09-10-2005, 07:54 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually wipe all of my seals down with something like
Armor-all. Lately I've been using the Meguair's Tech products for rubber and vinyl with good results. I love Meguiar's product line.

Old 09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
Avanti
Captain

As noted in another post, mine were replaced on both sides, only taking about 2 or 3 minutes per side. In fact, they didn't even take the time to pull it into the shop, doing the exchange in the drive.

Here is a picture of the passenger-side replacement where the originals rubbed and tore. Major design change!

[IMG]local://upfiles/14944/A3E81CF215454329A60EBBED54E8ECA7.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-11-2005, 01:07 AM
jordanp123

Do you have to pay anything to have the weather stripping replaced mine is starting to tear on my 05 Ram. But Im only 17 so i cant afford to do this right now if you have to pay anything.

Thanks

Old 09-11-2005, 01:26 AM
tenntech
Professional

ORIGINAL: jordanp123

Do you have to pay anything to have the weather stripping replaced mine is starting to tear on my 05 Ram. But Im only 17 so i cant afford to do this right now if you have to pay anything.

Thanks
If your truck is still under warranty ( 3 year/36,000mi. ) then there will be no charge, but if you are over your miles than you'll have to pay. This repair is a tsb only, no recalls apply.

Old 09-11-2005, 12:42 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

Glad to know they redesigned it.

Old 09-12-2005, 03:49 AM
HEMI_n_Cali
Professional

At first i had been reading this subject thinking what the?? Who's stripping is damaged already on a new truck? Sure enough i get to looking at mine, Its damaged too. I took and open and closed the door slowly to see how bad it pulls on the stripping, its harsh. Doesn't look good at all. Good news im still underwarrenty. So i take it in (prolly next oil change) and they will replace it for free? Is that what ive read?

Old 09-12-2005, 12:23 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: HEMI_n_Cali

At first i had been reading this subject thinking what the?? Who's stripping is damaged already on a new truck? Sure enough i get to looking at mine, Its damaged too. I took and open and closed the door slowly to see how bad it pulls on the stripping, its harsh. Doesn't look good at all. Good news im still underwarrenty. So i take it in (prolly next oil change) and they will replace it for free? Is that what ive read?
Yes, the weather stripping is covered under the 3/36 warranty.

Old 09-15-2005, 07:31 PM
CNY_Ram

Hello. I'm new to the forum, I did a lot of research and just purchased a 2005 QC 4wd Hemi Ram with 20" wheels. I have only 435 miles on the truck and have noticed some wind noise coming from the lower corner of the passanger side windshield. I took it back once they said the resealed the windshield and re-adjusted the door. Could this TSB possilby explain why I am still hearing some wind noise when the driver side window is open?

Old 09-15-2005, 11:52 PM
nukemsram

I agree. I noticed some time ago that my driver side weatherstripping was ripped. I'm gonna have to replace it. I just don't know how to prevent it.

Quick Reply: Weatherstrip damage by door... poor design!