3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Black stuff out of the tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 05:45 PM
kenneymc
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, and as 08hemi was saying, try some sea foam. Never personally tried it but if you pour some through brake booster line with engine running it helps to clean gunk out. Been discussed on here a few times. Actually go to sea foam website, they had videos on there about it, that's where I read up on how to do it a while back. Might help, never know.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:26 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Considering your trucks 10yrs old I'm going to kinda agree with Kenny and Weed with thinking the issue may be with the catalytic converter.

There also is a common problem with pouring Seafoam down the throttle body or in the power brake hose. It is just too much of a good thing and sometimes takes out the O2 sensor. You don't need to make "white smoke". Just pour the bottle in a 1/4 tank of gas and drive. No drama. When it is done, you will have a clean engine. This way is much simpler and in the long run cheaper.
Seafoam helps to clean carbon deposits and other gunk from the engine. That carbon and gunk doesn't magically disappear. Some might get burned during combustion, but generally, it all just becomes carbon.

The inside of your cat converter is comprised of thousands of small screens coated in catalyst metals. That screen is pretty small and Debris will clog them up.

If you start blasting a bunch of carbon into the cat, along with steam, you're creating a very large potential cat destroyer. If the cat gets humid inside, then you throw a bunch of dirt at it, it's gonna clog.

There's TONS of google info containing threads on automobile enthusiast sites where folks claim Seafoam killed their catalytic converter, and others that swear by it and support it's claims that Seafoam is catalytic converter safe...but I would just use it in the fuel and see how that works for ya.

Old 08-18-2012, 08:34 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

I do enjoy using seafoam. after i did some research a buddy of mine tried it after i told him about it so i guess ill have to
And as for the Code p0171 is that from the o2 sensor?

Last edited by willdikem66; 08-18-2012 at 08:45 PM.
Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 PM
MoparPaul
Veteran

Originally Posted by willdikem66
I do enjoy using seafoam. after i did some research a buddy of mine tried it after i told him about it so i guess ill have to
And as for the Code p0171 is that from the o2 sensor?
A bad O2 sensor could throw this code which is a Lean condition...Too much oxygen not enough fuel.

A faulty O2 sensor would give false info to the PCM causing your truck to run poorly.

If the O2 sensor is functioning correctly: a lean cond. could be caused by a faulty fuel pump, a vacuum leak or a fouled plug misfire.

Old 08-18-2012, 10:11 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Alright then im on the right track thanks

Quick Reply: Black stuff out of the tail pipe