3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 03:10 PM
mezerr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's the response from Chrysler Engineering.

These engines all have a low amplitude noise when listening through the wheels wells. It is possible that it is just characteristic. Purge solenoid or injector firing is amplified. Compare it to other like vehicles and is somewhat the same then no repairs are necessary.

Here's another videos:

Last edited by mezerr; 09-11-2012 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:18 PM
crazydude
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Give it some miles i got a 2011 with the hemi and once i hit 15000km all of a sudden certain noises stopped and it felt like it had some more get up and go

Old 09-12-2012, 11:47 AM
mezerr
Professional

Chrysler Canada called, and said that it's normal for Hemi's to knock. He said there is no fix for it. This is Chrysler's stance, and NO repairs will be done.

I asked what was causing the knock, and said Chrysler doesn't know exactly. Some do, and some don't he said.

He said this engine noise will not harm the engine. How do they know if they don't know what the problem is?

2 years down the road, if the problem still parsists, how am I ever going to sell this vehicle? Nobody will buy the truck when they hear the knock. He says just explain to them that it's normal. Riiiiiiight..

This is 100% unacceptable.

Old 09-12-2012, 12:17 PM
oldjeep
Champion

Originally Posted by mezerr
Chrysler Canada called, and said that it's normal for Hemi's to knock. He said there is no fix for it. This is Chrysler's stance, and NO repairs will be done.

I asked what was causing the knock, and said Chrysler doesn't know exactly. Some do, and some don't he said.

He said this engine noise will not harm the engine. How do they know if they don't know what the problem is?

2 years down the road, if the problem still parsists, how am I ever going to sell this vehicle? Nobody will buy the truck when they hear the knock. He says just explain to them that it's normal. Riiiiiiight..

Only one solution - trade it in on a Prius

Old 09-13-2012, 02:13 PM
DodgeCACares
Record Breaker
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Mezerr,

Sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the position provided. Dodge dealers are assisted and supported by Dodge Canada to investigate customer's concerns. As the manufacturer, we assure that there is no hesitancy on our part to comply with warranty provisions in the case of an identified defect; however, in the absence of a confirmed abnormality by a Dodge dealer, we cannot pursue any service under warranty.

Old 09-13-2012, 02:45 PM
mezerr
Professional

Originally Posted by DodgeCACares
Mezerr,

Sorry to hear you are not satisfied with the position provided. Dodge dealers are assisted and supported by Dodge Canada to investigate customer's concerns. As the manufacturer, we assure that there is no hesitancy on our part to comply with warranty provisions in the case of an identified defect; however, in the absence of a confirmed abnormality by a Dodge dealer, we cannot pursue any service under warranty.
So, I'm not 100% sure what your saying? You can't perform service because the dealer says there's no problem?

Confuses me, because the dealer is saying they can't do anything, because Chrysler Canada tells them not to, because it's a normal condition.

A engine knock, should never be a normal condition.

Old 09-13-2012, 07:18 PM
mezerr
Professional

I just got off the phone with Chrysler Canada again. I explained that the truck hasn't even been in the shop. The service manager listened to it for 10 seconds, then called engineering, and now Chrysler Canada is saying it's normal.

How do they know it's normal, when it hasn't even been looked over. Nobody has even inspected the oil. Nobody has put a stethescope to it, to see where it's coming from. Nobody has even looked to see if it's exhaust bolt related.

This is the worst customer service I've EVER experienced.

This must be a common problem, for them to conclude it's normal without even really listening to it.

Old 09-13-2012, 09:25 PM
12Sport
Professional

This must be a common problem, for them to conclude it's normal without even really listening to it.
You keep branding this noise as a "problem" but those are your words, not theirs. Apparently they are aware it exists in some engines but have found it's not doing any harm thus they've deemed not a problem. You've got it documented, you have a warranty that will fix it if it fails so just drive it.

Old 09-13-2012, 10:19 PM
TexnOr
Rookie

Sounds like a diesel running but it could just be me..Run it till it blows then get a new one..That's what warrenties are for

Old 09-13-2012, 11:18 PM
mezerr
Professional

Originally Posted by 12Sport
You keep branding this noise as a "problem" but those are your words, not theirs. Apparently they are aware it exists in some engines but have found it's not doing any harm thus they've deemed not a problem. You've got it documented, you have a warranty that will fix it if it fails so just drive it.
I didn't pay 30+ for a truck that knocks. Sorry. Unacceptable. Whether it's causing a problem or not, it knocks, and it's embarrassing. All my friends have commented on it at work, without me saying anything.

Also, what if I decide to sell it in 2 years, who would buy a truck that knocks? I'm stuck with it.

Quick Reply: 2012 Ram, 800 miles, Is this Rod Knock?