3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:13 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Air Intake and Exhaust Guides
Print Wikipost

Pics of broken exhaust manifold bolts

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2018, 09:21 AM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

the mig welder is the way to repair bolts broken flush with the head. drilling is asking for head damage.

hold a nut over the broken bolt and weld a nut onto the bolt. turn the bolt out with a socket on the welded nut.

if you never what to do this repair again...install headers...oem manifold design is the problem

Old 01-04-2018, 10:21 AM
FaceDeAce
Veteran
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by primem
the mig welder is the way to repair bolts broken flush with the head. drilling is asking for head damage.

hold a nut over the broken bolt and weld a nut onto the bolt. turn the bolt out with a socket on the welded nut.

if you never what to do this repair again...install headers...oem manifold design is the problem
Based on observation of my truck, (cases may vary): The oem manifold is just fine, the problem just looks like the original bolts having been over-torqued. Age is also a factor in my case. It is an '04 (14 years old) with 130,000 miles on it up to when those two bolts broke. That's a good use and not a problem by my standards. Heat and rust eventually gets its way on everything. A liberal coating of the threads in the head and the bolts with Permatex copper anti-seize should ensure them easily removable if/when have to go into it again. (eg motor rebuild at some point)

I have to post a minor disagree comment with the headers suggestion. Don't just jump to that, think it over first. Headers can create new and other problems. Imho if is a regular truck, regular use, daily driver type then just replace the bolts and gaskets, truck on. If you are into mods and upgrades looking to spice your weekend ride for rippen' around scaring women and children in your chicker getter, then sure.

Last edited by FaceDeAce; 01-04-2018 at 11:03 AM.
Old 01-04-2018, 10:27 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,179 Likes on 2,932 Posts

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
I have to post a disagree with the headers suggestion. Headers can create new and other problems.
The oem manifold is just fine. Imho, the problem is the original bolts having been over-torqued.
That's why this seems to be an ongoing problem with 3rd, and 4th gen trucks....... Folks have spent big money several times to have this condition repaired, new bolts, new manifolds, and still the bolts break. There is more to it than just installation error.

Old 01-07-2018, 12:06 PM
primem
Record Breaker
Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by FaceDeAce
Based on observation of my truck, (cases may vary):
I have to post a minor disagree comment with the headers suggestion. Don't just jump to that, think it over first. Headers can create new and other problems. Imho if is a regular truck, regular use, daily driver type then just replace the bolts and gaskets, truck on. If you are into mods and upgrades looking to spice your weekend ride for rippen' around scaring women and children in your chicker getter, then sure.
i worked at gm when they had the same problem. redesigned manifolds fixed the problem. the manifold problem is more for the 4th gens where the bolts are sheared off by manifold movement. 3rd gens tend to bread at the head of the cap screw rather sheared flush. this is a design problem.

Quick Reply: Pics of broken exhaust manifold bolts