3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 stall randomly

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2012, 07:58 PM
NancyO
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well good news and bad news. The dealer got the truck to stall for them (last week when they had it they couldn't get it to stall). Bad news they still think coils.

How many coils are in this truck? My service advisor didn't know. As someone else suggested wouldn't a bad coil throw a code?

Nancy

Last edited by NancyO; 09-10-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:51 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

8 coils, if you buy them get them yourself ROCKAUTO.COM.
I really dont think its coils though.

Old 09-10-2012, 10:41 PM
NancyO

I don't either. They are going to give me prices on the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor as well as the coils. They told me they already replaced the ASD relay when the truck was in last time. I specifically asked last time if they changed it and I was told no. It wasn't on my paperwork and I wasn't charged for it. Maybe they just tested it. I dunno.

Carmax is leaving this open for me and told me they will buy the car back when I've had enough. I am afraid they would rip me off, but they said they would make this right because of all the trouble we've had.

I hope it doesn't come to that. I like this truck - just want it fixed.

Nancy

I'll keep everyone posted on this just in case somebody else ends up in this situation - I sure hope not.

Last edited by NancyO; 09-10-2012 at 10:50 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:46 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I hope it's as easy as a bad coil but I rather doubt it. Failed coil = no spark = misfire = misfire code. No misfire code in your case means the coils are firing in proper order, besides a single cylinder misfire won't stall the truck.

BTW, a service adviser who can't tell you how many coils are on your V8 engine should be out detailing vehicles behind the dealership and not dealing with the public for the service department IMO...

Last edited by HammerZ71; 09-10-2012 at 10:48 PM.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:03 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by NancyO
That's the thing - all of this started about 5 days after the tune up.

Nancy

So I would then ask what was specifically done during the tune-up? While the consensus on this thread is that it is not a coil, I would not rule it out. As far as the service adviser not knowing how many coils are on your vehicle, I am with Hammer, that person should not be in that position.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:54 AM
NancyO

According to my paperwork the upper spark plugs were changed, complete fuel service (cleaned throttle body carbon buildup), differential fluid changed (over 30,000 miles on truck), air filter replaced, oil and filter change. It was a basic tune up that cost me over $600 with the differential.

I told them that all of this started after the upper spark plugs were changed.

Nancy

Old 09-11-2012, 12:37 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hope they put the right plugs in, but that wouldnt even cause all of this

Old 09-11-2012, 07:04 PM
NancyO

Originally Posted by willdikem66
Hope they put the right plugs in, but that wouldnt even cause all of this
I think they did. I checked the numbers online and it was correct.

The dealer is replacing the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor. They are doing their coil replacement where they get a new coil and check each coil for fault. For all of this - sensors and coils - it will cost me a little under $400. I didn't think that was bad, but of course I'll be pi$$ed if it doesn't correct the problem. I can't balk about the sensors though - they are doing that per my request. I also double checked about the ASD relay - it is not new, but they tested it and it works fine.

So fingers crossed, but I'm not holding my breath.

Let's say it's not fixed. I know I can't hold them accountable for the sensors, but what kind of obligation is there (if any) for charging me for the new coil/testing, spark plugs. They can't keep guessing and charging me money can they? Or am I just SOL?

Nancy

Old 09-11-2012, 11:10 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

SOL unless they told you they would cover you.

Old 09-12-2012, 04:09 PM
NancyO

Just an update if anyone is interested. They have checked 4 of the 8 coils and the truck still stalls so they haven't found the bad one (if there even is a bad one - gee - do I sound cynical?).

I thought I was getting the truck back today. Um no, now they are telling me they will call me on Friday. What? This is so frustrating. This truck spends more time at a repair shop (dealer this time) than it does with us.

Nancy

Last edited by NancyO; 09-12-2012 at 04:19 PM.

Quick Reply: 2008 Dodge Ram 1500 stall randomly