3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

fuel filter under gas tank?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2005, 05:19 AM
kevincw01
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel filter under gas tank?

Was at jiffy lube the other day for the 15k service and the guy reccomended I change the fuel filter too. I said OK and 20 minutes later he told me he couldnt do it because it was above the gas tank and he'd had to drop the gas tank to do it.

3 questions:
is the fuel filter above the gas tank?
Do you have to drop the tank to replace it?
When is the correct mileage to replace it?

Old 08-29-2005, 10:21 AM
alienyzf
Professional
Default RE: fuel filter under gas tank?

normally 30k but I would be weary of what that kid was doing for 20 minutes. Have it checked by a professional if you cannot. I would not let them do anything other than differential or the engine oil. I have seen too many f!@# ups in college.

Old 08-29-2005, 02:08 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

3 questions:
is the fuel filter above the gas tank?
Do you have to drop the tank to replace it?
When is the correct mileage to replace it?
1) The filter is IN the tank.
2) Yes. I don't think there's an access door in the bed.
3) I don't believe there is a recommended time for changing it.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:19 PM
05ramlaramie
Veteran

You give Jiffy Lube business??

Those clowns are HORRIBLE at any location. I only hear of horror stories from people that let jiffy lube change their oil (oil leaks, stripped drain plugs, over filled, etc). However, I cant believe you gave them money and your vehicle to perform an actual service!!

I think the only requirement at that junk establishment is to have a ride back and forth to work.

Old 08-29-2005, 03:49 PM
moparturd
Banned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HAhaha!! That's about the truth. Last year I made the mistake of taking my 1969 Coronet to them for state inpection and the guy said my pre-emission car needed an evaporator to pass inspection. I told him to find it in book where it said the car had this part for emission control. Long story short, the idiot couldn't read. He was looking at a page on late model Fords!!!!! I suppose that manual didn't have the pictures of the vehicles.

Yesterday I was helping t2turbo600 replace an engine in his Daytona. One of the idiots from the Jiffy Lube next door came over and asked what it would take to change some component on a Cutlass engine. When asked, or should I say axed, He couldn't even tell us what engine was in the car.

Dumbass!!!

Old 08-29-2005, 04:12 PM
kevincw01
Rookie

alright, alright. i've learned my lesson. Now what national chain would you guys reccomend? There ain't no way in hell I'm taking it to the stealer. I made that mistake with my Jeep Gr. Cherokee and ended up paying $650 for the 30k service.

-Kevin

Old 08-29-2005, 04:47 PM
Avanti
Captain

Simple, Kevin; buy the few tools necessary and do it YOURSELF!

With a truck you don't even need ramps, and you can take the used oil to most parts stores for dumping.

Take the time and trouble. I'm a professional and have 7 of my 10 vehicles on the road, but I take the time to maintain them myself... yes, it's that important (and I don't mean steak sauce, from the TV ads). Not only will you know how it is done, you will save a bunch over time.

All the best.

Oh yeah, and check your manual. Typically the 30K svc. is changing oil, filter, and air filter (and, maybe rotate tires, depending on your individual schedule), along with "checking"/"inspecting" a bunch of stuff they often don't bother to even look at. Again, you can do it better yourself. I've not yet checked my new Ram manual for the 30K svc since I've only had it a couple months.

Old 08-29-2005, 09:57 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

The 30K mile also includes the
1. Diff oil
2. Engine oil
3. Filters
4. Inspect a bunch o stuff
5. Rotate tires
6. Spark plugs
7. Other stuff I'm forgetting

If you want the specifics let me know and I'll look it up.

Old 08-30-2005, 11:05 AM
mill500
Veteran

Those clowns are HORRIBLE at any location. I only hear of horror stories from people that let jiffy lube change their oil (oil leaks, stripped drain plugs, over filled, etc). However, I cant believe you gave them money and your vehicle to perform an actual service!!
Ain't that the truth. The last time I ever went to JL was with my Accord. On that 4 cyl, you couldn't change the filter without getting oil on the exhaust pipe, so the first few miles you always smelled the oil burning off. After my supposed change, no smell. Got home, checked the oil, black. Checked the filter and it was just wiped off. I went back whereupon they proceeded to tell me that it was very common for oil to turn that black in the 2 mile trip home, and besides, they even had the checklist where the moron said he changed it.

Bottom line. pain that it is, Avanti's right. The only way to be sure it's right is do it yourself.

Old 08-30-2005, 03:10 PM
osteodoc08
Record Breaker

ORIGINAL: mill500

Ain't that the truth. The last time I ever went to JL was with my Accord. On that 4 cyl, you couldn't change the filter without getting oil on the exhaust pipe, so the first few miles you always smelled the oil burning off. After my supposed change, no smell. Got home, checked the oil, black. Checked the filter and it was just wiped off. I went back whereupon they proceeded to tell me that it was very common for oil to turn that black in the 2 mile trip home, and besides, they even had the checklist where the moron said he changed it.

Bottom line. pain that it is, Avanti's right. The only way to be sure it's right is do it yourself.
Exactly why I do it myself. I don't trust anyone but me and a few friends of mine that I made while working at the dealership. You know it is done right the first time.

As a side note, Wal-mart has inexpensive tires and I have used them in the past for tires on my family's cars. One day I went in to Wal-mart through the tire center and one of the dumb *** techs was driving a full size conversion van on one of the lifts. Well, needless to say, he didn't get one side on very well and as he got the last tires up on the lift the whole van fell off sideways and really messed it up. All I heard was a bang and glass shattering. I looked up to see the van with the right side down through the middle of the lift with the right side of the van against the lifts structure and ramps. I didn't know whether to laugh or cry, so I just kept my mouth shut and went about my business. Maybe I should rethink about using them for tires now.

Quick Reply: fuel filter under gas tank?