3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

06 Ram Quad Cab, slt U Joints

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 03:36 PM
Trooper Girl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 06 Ram Quad Cab, slt U Joints

Hey Folks,
I was wondering what is the trick of the driveshaft removal. I am trying to replace my U-Joints so they have a zert on them and I cant get the drive shaft off. Is it pressed on and I need to use a couple of bolts to seperate? Im old school and am used to the "U" bolt down clamp that made everything really easy.
Thanks for any advice offered.
Jennifer

Old 09-17-2012, 12:15 AM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 93 Likes on 79 Posts

Welcome to DF
I moved your post to the 3rd Gen Ram section.

Old 09-17-2012, 12:25 AM
sabin420
Captain

It should just have 4 bolts holing it onto the differential by the rear U-Joint and slide the front out of the transmission.

After the 4 bolts come off, the drive shaft has to be pushed forward just a little bit to get it off the ring that helps center the driveshaft on the differential. But it's more likely it will just fall off under it's own weight.

Last edited by sabin420; 09-17-2012 at 12:52 AM.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:44 AM
ZWilson07
Professional

Originally Posted by sabin420
It should just have 4 bolts holing it onto the differential by the rear U-Joint and slide the front out of the transmission.

After the 4 bolts come off, the drive shaft has to be pushed forward just a little bit to get it off the ring that helps center the driveshaft on the differential. But it's more likely it will just fall off under it's own weight.

x2, exactly what he said. If its 4x4 it will just be bolted to the transfer case the same way as it is on the rear differential.

I assume you haven't even looked under there because if you did its hard to not notice what to do, especially if you are mechanically inclined.

But good luck none the less.

Quick Reply: 06 Ram Quad Cab, slt U Joints