3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Please help! :(

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-2012, 03:40 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I hear ya there.

Definitely post up the technical data so we can sort through it..... Also if you have an extended warranty there should be no "working with you on things" they should be covering everything.... If there is a problem then you should contact Dodge's Warranty Hotline ASAP and start a service claim, they will straighten it all out for you most of the time, but it takes a little fighting...

Old 09-24-2012, 03:56 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a cheap computer lol. It should all work out for ya, let us know.

Old 09-24-2012, 05:09 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mlemay
Unfortunately, I look NOTHING like your favorite Spitfire
You mean you don't have wings and a 5-bladed prop?

Took the truck in this morning. They said they got 10 different codes from various sensors. They think they are malfunctioning and confusing the computer, so it shuts down. They are doing "software updates" on it. There is no 100% guarantee that this will fix it, but they THINK it will. Have you heard of a rig needing software updates???? Aren't they manufactured with all of the information they need to run properly????
While looking around in my truck (performing the TMR mod, actually) I noticed that the main computer bar code was covered by a newer, smaller barcode that said "Authorized Software Update" or something to that effect, so ya--maybe it's just what you need.

Here's hoping!

Old 09-24-2012, 05:19 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

All the manufactors have re-flashes that come out to update PCM's. I have a friend he bought a chevy. A week later their was a re-flash for how the a/c compressor engaged. Some customers were complaining it engaged to hard. The shop I worked at in Spokane, we did them all the time. It is very possiable re-flash will fix some, maybe all your issues.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:19 AM
mlemay

Ok, boys, here it is. They replaced the multi-function switch per the recall for the malfunctioning turn signals.

The rest says: "Computer scope check - Check and advise customer states the engine will die while driving and not restart. Found multiple DTFCs V0168 lost communication with security module P1521. Multiple updates/flashes for different concerns in several modules. Updated PCM, TIPM, CCN, and radio with latest software. Test drove vehicle. Still unable to duplicate customer concerns."

This cost me $157.48, so the extended warranty deductible wasn't incurred.

Does that description help anyone???? Do you think it will 'solve' the problems?

And how do you post pics? It says I'm not authorized

Last edited by mlemay; 09-25-2012 at 12:43 AM. Reason: question
Old 09-25-2012, 07:54 AM
DodgeCares
Champion
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by mlemay
Ok, boys, here it is. They replaced the multi-function switch per the recall for the malfunctioning turn signals.

The rest says: "Computer scope check - Check and advise customer states the engine will die while driving and not restart. Found multiple DTFCs V0168 lost communication with security module P1521. Multiple updates/flashes for different concerns in several modules. Updated PCM, TIPM, CCN, and radio with latest software. Test drove vehicle. Still unable to duplicate customer concerns."

This cost me $157.48, so the extended warranty deductible wasn't incurred.

Does that description help anyone???? Do you think it will 'solve' the problems?

And how do you post pics? It says I'm not authorized
Software updates could certainly cure a stall condition but it depends on what the updates were and what symptoms they solve. I am posting below a TSB (technical service bulletin) for the P1521 diagnostic code. It is possible that the flash described in the TSB will cure the problem of code P1521 from coming up again. That code relates to improper engine oil viscosity, which would effect your MDS. When they updated your computer systems it should have loaded the latest software to any of the multiple computer modules on your vehicle. As far as if it will cure the stall issue, only time will tell for certain. Please keep us updated.

NUMBER: 18-008-08 REV. A
GROUP: Vehicle Performance
DATE: March 15, 2008

SUBJECT:
Flash: Diagnostic Trouble Code P1521 - Incorrect Engine Oil Type Set
OVERVIEW:
This bulletin involves selectively erasing and reprogramming the Powertrain Control
Module (PCM) with new software.
MODELS:
2006 (DR) Ram Truck
2006 (HB) Durango
2006 (LX) 300 / Magnum / Charger
2006 (LE) 300C/300 Touring (International Markets)
2006 (WK) Grand Cherokee
2006 (WH) Grand Cherokee (International Markets)
2006 (XK) Commander
2006 (XH) Commander (International Markets)
NOTE: This bulletin applies to models equipped with a 5.7L engine (sales code EZB).

SYMPTOM/CONDITION:
Investigation by the technician with the StarSCAN® may find that a Diagnostic Trouble
Code (DTC) is set with no other symptoms or conditions. The DTC that will be set is P1521
- Incorrect Engine Oil Type.

Last edited by DodgeCares; 09-25-2012 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-25-2012, 10:05 AM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well let's see if what they did fixes her problem.... again I can't stress this enough, RECORD YOURSELF DRIVING WITH A CAMERA! So that when it does happen you can go back to it and prove it, as well as see if there is anything "you" might be doing to create it.

We forgot to ask... Is your truck a manual or automatic transmission?

Old 09-25-2012, 10:53 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

You have to have 30 post to post a pic. stupid rule

Old 09-25-2012, 11:34 AM
mlemay

It's an automatic. And thank you, willdikem66 - I was wondering why it wouldn't load

Old 09-25-2012, 11:51 AM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you host them on Google+ or on a webserver, all you have to do is link them and post as many pics as you want. PM me your pic and I'll link for you if you like...