3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

I have a 2004 Ram with Hemi and would like to modify the Firing order

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 06:26 AM
jmshorter
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have a 2004 Ram with Hemi and would like to modify the Firing order

I am debating on adding a normally close contactor or relay to the positive side circuit to the fuel injectors. I would like to shut off cylinders 1,3,7 and 8 while I am on the interstate to gain better fuel mileage. Would I possibly hurt the engine or cause damage? After looking at the firing order I think the motor will remain balanced.

Will I damage anything by doing that?

Thanks

Old 09-20-2012, 07:02 AM
MikeHTally
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It would take WAY TOO LONG to recover your costs. You'll have to figure out how to close the valves on those cylinders as well as all the other things MDS does. I don't think you'd ever come close to recovering the cost with the meager fuel saving. MDS turns off 3,5,2 and 8 I think.

Old 09-20-2012, 07:34 AM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah...... That plan ain't gonna be a good one.. displacement isn't your issue per say anyway.. its but one way to address economy, and adjustable displacement is dang difficult on an engine not specifically designed for it..

Alter your approach.. focus on eliminating unwarranted engine load.. and alter your driving habits.. between those two, plus keeping the engine in good tune, you're not going to get much better, even if you had MDS...

Old 09-20-2012, 11:44 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Everyone with MDS buys a tunner to turn it off and your trying to modify it to come on a truck not equiped with it. Like they said if you did get it to work you wouldnt see any real gains. And the MDS controls the shutdown between 2-4 cylinders at a time depending on what terrain your on when you dont have your foot in the gas. Not just 4 automatically thus leaving you with worse fuel eco than you started with
MDS was a great idea for places like CA with big time emissions controls but was a terrible idea to try to move a tank with 4 cylinders.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:24 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Not a good idea, the cylinders wouldn't be rotated. Start with an e-fan, parasitic loss is what you are after, plus driving habits, like was said above, You also might consider tires that have a low rolling resistence at your next tire change, etc, etc, or--buy a used prius for work, and jam in the truck on the weekend.

Old 09-20-2012, 05:32 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Efan Low, temp thermostat, Better Air Filter(One that Breathes more than the 15 dollar paper POS) Those are all things that will free up some HP and Acheive better MPGs just remember your truck weighs 5000+ pounds Good Mpgs are hard to come by.

Old 09-21-2012, 06:45 AM
jmshorter

It was just a thought, I wasnt sure how the MDS worked. What about a chip? Just saw an add for a "G Force" chip that gains 60HP and sumtn sumtn torque and claiming to add 4 - 7 MPG???? I am used to diesels and I have no idea on gas motors.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:14 AM
Bigboytoys
Professional

Snake oil...
Call me crazy, but what if the op took the pcm and harness from a MDS equipped truck and put it in his....
Don't kill me....just an idea..

Old 09-21-2012, 08:51 AM
Dead2Fall
Captain

Wouldn't work. If you want mds, trade the 04 in and get an 06.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:54 AM
broggyr
Professional

Originally Posted by jmshorter
Just saw an add for a "G Force" chip that gains 60HP and sumtn sumtn torque and claiming to add 4 - 7 MPG???? I am used to diesels and I have no idea on gas motors.
I would strongly recommend staying away from these so-called 'performance' chips. There are lots of posts on this and other forums about them. Many items show up in the search results. There is no way a $60 'chip' is going to net you 60HP and 4-7 MPG. Most likely, you wouldn't even be able to tell a difference.

Quick Reply: I have a 2004 Ram with Hemi and would like to modify the Firing order