3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Excessive AM radio static

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 02:27 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Izero
Hey chill out, no one can know everything... so lets just stay on topic before we start D***measuring... k?
Oh, I am not riled up. You'd know it if I was. lol
I was just pointing out that the FSM specifically says that the plugs have resistors inside them for radio interference purposes.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:30 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have actual facts, and i told them to you, you even quoted them.
I stand corrected about the them having absolutley nothing to do with the radio, BUT You still have the problem after replacing the plugs and your dads truck is post 1960,fact.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:34 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anyways..... go check what I said and let us know whats up....

Also if you live near major cities, high voltage power lines, or Cell towers you're not going to get much of any AM reception....

Old 09-20-2012, 02:53 PM
drewactual
Champion

Dang... This went south, huh?

Plug wires, unshielded, create inference, which creates interference with radio waves, by propagating short quick rippled waves that break apart the taller wider signal used on a.m. radio transmissions.. true story.. if the op is using silly small plug wires, and they aren't routed correctly, there could very well be radio static as a result.. ..

Old 09-20-2012, 03:01 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Lol like i said i stand corrected, and also learned something new today.
No hard feelings either way. Thanks for the insight

Old 09-20-2012, 04:02 PM
drewactual
Champion

No worries bro.. you kinda had to live through that era to know about those kind of things..

Better shielded wires correct it to a degree, and better shielding on antenna feeds isolating signals picked up the rest of the slack to eliminate the issue all together..

It was an old rodder trick, to fire up the radio and dial in listening for rpm consistent interference.. it indicated bad plug shielding or crossed wires, or even cracks in plug wires when it jumped to ground intermittently..

Crazy, huh?

Old 09-20-2012, 04:07 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Yeah you arent kidding crazy! And whos to say i didnt live through that era...Im kidding, Im prolly one of the younger users on here.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:31 PM
drewactual
Champion

I didn't say I did either...

I DID live through, and learn how to Twirl wrenched from guys who DID live through it.. it still happened in the fifties and sixties, but before that is when there were real issues with it..

I hot forty last June..

I'm still wrapping my brain around sensors and computers, and I appreciate its application.. you're likely a lot better primed to learn those things.. in my childhood and working as a gopher for those old wrenches, you tuned a car carefully, but could only hope to have it tuned perfectly for the right then and there.. the next day, the temperature may drop or raise, the area you're driving in would alter, or some other environmental variable would happen, and you wouldn't be finely tuned anymore.. add to that, no regulation on gas, impurities common, ect ect, and tuning became a never ending cat and mouse game.. those days are gone with sensors, efi, and electronic ignitions..

Times change.. technology does with it.. sometimes, though, its good to know how the old fellas did it.. its also good to know better newer ways too.. that's why this forum is great.

Old 09-20-2012, 04:41 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

One of the only resons why i joined... everyone on here is to helpful.
I can say i didnt have anyone there to teach me about turnning wrenches but when my buddy was given his first car 1972 Chevelle we spent everyday and almost every hour with that car and you arent kidding about having it tunned perfect then the weather change and the whole thing was off.

I just turned 19 in Feb. So i have plenty of learning to absorb. wish things would go back to a Carb, sometimes i think it would be better.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 PM
dodge dude94
Banned Goober Smoocher
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by drewactual
Dang... This went south, huh?

Plug wires, unshielded, create inference, which creates interference with radio waves, by propagating short quick rippled waves that break apart the taller wider signal used on a.m. radio transmissions.. true story.. if the op is using silly small plug wires, and they aren't routed correctly, there could very well be radio static as a result.. ..
Sorta, everything between the two of us is sorted out now.

And no plug wires, it's the 4.7. Didn't mention it, my bad.
I haven't gotten a chance to check it yet, I am going to start looking tomorrow.

Quick Reply: Excessive AM radio static