3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Muffler/Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 01:12 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If flow was the only concern, then yeah, no cats flow better than any cat on the market..

Flow isn't your only concern, though..

The exhaust system has the cats located where they are for a reason.. heat.. the cats get hotter than the initial exhaust pulse.. when the energy created by the engine pushing the pulse out expends, there has to be something pulling it.. its called scavenging.. the heat created by the cat pulls the pulse as it slows and cools.. it reheats it.. it happens at a strategic point in the exhaust system so that the conveyer of pulses doesn't hamper the fresh one coming out of the exhaust ports movement.. for this reason, cats are beneficial almost to the point of negating the flow obstacle they also create..

If you remove cats, you have was of cooler air (dense) impeding flow.. which is called back pressure.. back pressure is never good.. scavenging always is good.. you can recreate your exhaust by using smaller pipes which create more heat, but go too small, they will create back pressure all by themselves.. you go too large, it cools too quickly.. you go with short pipes and keep those pipes hot, the pulses clear the entire system quick enough that zero backpressure happens, and there is no need for scavenging.. but that ain't the reality..

The reality is that pipes gotta go to at least behind the cab to keep passengers from being poisoned while driving or riding along.. so, to get it to there and keep it flowing, you gotta depend on heat and scavenging.. you gotta select pipe size appropriately, and lessen the obstructions.. a cat, well placed, does that.. a high flowing cat does that to the point it negate the flow obstructions..

Google 'exhaust theory' if any of this interests y'all.. that's what I did.. there is a lot that goes into it.. or.. more than I would have thought, anyway..

Old 10-03-2012, 01:30 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by looka
You know what flows even better than a high flow cat? No cat.
Makes your truck illegal, throw codes, and is only good for MAYBE 3-4rwhp.

On my 476rwhp Supercharged Mustang, removing the cats gained me a whopping 3rwhp. There were a total of 6 cats on that car. Ford usues multiple "pre-cats".

My buddies 681rwhp Supercharged Vette was dynoed with/without cats and he gained only 6rwhp by removing them.
Obviously the more flow through the exhaust the better the gain when dealing with cats. So, being that that Ram is half the RWHP rating of my Mustang and 1/3 rated of my buddies vette, the gain should be even less. 5.7L Hemi Rams dyno in at 240-260ish RWHP btw. Far cry from the flywheel HP due to the large drivetrain loss.

Soooo, is it relly worth the hassle? NOPE. No cat vehicle's Smell, burn your eyes, throw engine codes, are illegal and don't pass emmissions inspections. Argue it anyway you please. I'd Never own a car without cats soley for the eye burning and throat burning sensation exhausts have without them!!! Not worth the measley rwhp gain or hassle of engine codes.
When my mustang had no cats for it's short duration in life, I could barely stand to be in the garage when I started it up. As soon as I put cats on it, it was MUCH, MUCH more pleasant. Didn't make mey clothes stink either.

Old 10-03-2012, 02:14 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by looka
You know what flows even better than a high flow cat? No cat.
Do you know whats dumber than a wall........

And at Dirty the Mustang Gained HP Because all of the Cats ford uses, with Dodges High Flow design you would end up suffering more than you would gain.

Theres not point in agruing with Looka, look at the link i posted there are several guys trying to explain to him that his method is dumb.

Oh yeah and back at Looka i never saw a response to racing a all stock truck to your POS without Cats........ Educate yourself a little on this subject then get back to us with a more dignafied answer

Old 10-03-2012, 03:11 PM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

To the OP, yeah you are better off just getting a muffler. Any decent muffler shop can cut out your old one and put it a new one. I think cherry bomb extreme is a good choice, magnaflows and borlas sound nice too. Youtube has a ton of vids.

To the other guys, I was willing to give him the benefit of the doubt at first, but now he's just being ignorant. To bad for him, there's a lot to be learned on this forum if you are willing to, if your not at least keep to yourself and don't go spreading your incorrect junk around.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:27 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Right Ewing its one thing to have your own opinion but this is different lol
I personally get on here every day wanting to learn something new, we are all wrong at times(me prolly more than others lol) but to keep putting your un-educated thought

Old 10-03-2012, 06:37 PM
sabin420
Captain

When I purchased a Y-Pipe for my headders, I made sure to get one that had the cat included. Having the engine light on at all times is annoying.

Old 10-03-2012, 08:19 PM
looka
Banned

Originally Posted by dirtydog
Soooo, is it relly worth the hassle? NOPE. No cat vehicle's Smell, burn your eyes, throw engine codes, are illegal and don't pass emmissions inspections.
Took me less than 5 minutes to cut off my cats and bolt on a cherry bomb. So no hassle at all. And there's no emissions checks where I live. I also haven't thrown any codes, so it's all good. But I appreciate where you're coming from. What works for you, works for you. What works for me, works for me.

Peace

Old 10-04-2012, 07:57 AM
SLT8
Record Breaker

Poor member is just wanting to get info on a aftermarket exhaust weather a catback or muffler swap only.

Old 10-04-2012, 08:48 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Leave the cats. They are there for a reason. Even if there are no em missions awes where you live, a state trooper can still give you a ticket for not having them. It's a FEDERAL law.
Anyways,I put the flow master 50 series muffler on and had the muffler shop dual it after that. It's loud when you get on it at first. But at cruising speed,it's low and mellow. My and my wife can have a normal conversation

Old 10-04-2012, 09:27 AM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

OP. I have a Magnaflow catback and love the sound. It removed the giant a$$ 3ft muffler as well as the "mini" inline muffler if you will. Forgot what they are called. brainfart..haha

Very easy to cut off muffler and have one welded in place to save yourself alot of money. I get compliments all the time and truck runs great.

Quick Reply: Muffler/Exhaust System