3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Muffler/Exhaust System

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
looka
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rtmtrrdr
Even if there are no em missions awes where you live, a state trooper can still give you a ticket for not having them.
LOL. No cop has ever given a ticket for no cat, dude. Like he's gonna get down on his knees and look under there. Specially here in Colorado. Ain't never heard of something so silly.

Old 10-04-2012, 10:16 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by looka
LOL. No cop has ever given a ticket for no cat, dude. Like he's gonna get down on his knees and look under there. Specially here in Colorado. Ain't never heard of something so silly.
I agree with you, not many cops will get down there and look to see that i dont have a muffler. But you have a couple that will in any state, thats why id rater have a "No muffler Ticket", Then a "No Cats Ticket".

Old 10-04-2012, 10:39 PM
dirtydog
Moderate User
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts

I have an 18" Oval series. The 14" is a bit beefier. Round style is even louder and much more aggressive. The 18" provides quiet cab experience with little to no drone. 14" step up drone and race style round will cause a bit of drone.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:22 AM
rtmtrrdr
All Star
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

then don't come around here then.we have such a problem with people like you that every cop does it.we still don't have any smog tests...go figure

Old 10-05-2012, 10:14 AM
AngelaC
Amateur

I measured it last night the one I have on there its stock, and its 27" long and 33" overall and its a round center one, now to find one that fits that measurement

Old 10-05-2012, 11:00 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

You arent going to find one to fit that measurement. From what i know. And if you did its going to be hardly any louder than the one now.
You can get close but more than likely any muffler that you buy you will have to add pipe to make it fit. Which is normal.
The only measurements you need to worry about are a 3inch Inlet. If you get a mullfer with a Dual outlet it will prolly be 2.5 inch Outlet.

Old 10-05-2012, 11:25 AM
AngelaC
Amateur

Originally Posted by willdikem66
You arent going to find one to fit that measurement. From what i know. And if you did its going to be hardly any louder than the one now.
You can get close but more than likely any muffler that you buy you will have to add pipe to make it fit. Which is normal.
The only measurements you need to worry about are a 3inch Inlet. If you get a mullfer with a Dual outlet it will prolly be 2.5 inch Outlet.

Oh well if its normal to add pipe then thats ok, (I pretty much dont know anything about this just learning as I go) haha, how do you measure the inlet? And since its not a dual outlet stock I shouldnt get a dual then to replace it should I?

Old 10-05-2012, 11:38 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

No what im telling you is when you buy the muffler just make sure that it is 3 inch inlet. If the muffler you are buying has dual outlets then they will be 2.5 inch outlet.
You dont need to measure anything. When you find the muffler you want just make sure that it is 3inch inlet, take it to a shop and they will take care of the rest.

And if you want dual outlet thats ok alot of people do , ive never had anything but dual outlet. Until now(straight pipe). Its really up to where you want your pipes to go(Dumped, Running out of the back, Tucked away, Stock look, you can do alot) If you get a dual obvisuly you will have to buy more pipe from the Muffler shop.

Old 10-05-2012, 12:58 PM
AngelaC
Amateur

Ok I understand now I talked to the shop that I want to do it and he said that yeah they can add pipe and stuff no problem, I'm gonna go for the Magnaflow # 12249 I hope its loud enough I wont be able to really tell until its in I guess. Its an 18"

Old 10-05-2012, 01:21 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

put that ruck on it's side or upturn it in an accident, hero.. mr. statie sees the lack of cat, and reports it.. insurance sees the report.. insurance decides not to offer payment on a vehicle that isn't street legal in the first place..

it's happened just like that many times..

that's just one of the things that can happen to your catless rig.. it doesn't have anything to do with performance, with economy, or even how efficient a catalytic converter actually scrubs the exhaust- it has to do with what is legal and what isn't..

I reckon it's up to you, and you are master of your own destiny- but your argument holds no h20, man..

Quick Reply: Muffler/Exhaust System