3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2006 1500 soft brake pedal after service

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 04:16 PM
Danno88
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2006 1500 soft brake pedal after service

Weird thing. Brakes felt fine, but it was time for new front pads. I replaced them by removing the caliper, removing the reservoir cap, compressing the brakes cylinders, replaced pads with new pads. Had to suck out some fluid as it returned to reservoir to keep from over flowing. Re-installed cailpers. Pumped brakes to seat pads. Other than the reservoir cap, I never opened the system. No air should have entered and I have not bled the system. I did nothing to the rear brakes.

So, the brakes work. I can stop fine and hard stops activate the ABS as it should (so it seems). However, my pedal has a significantly softer feel and further travel before the stopping occurs. This immeadiately showed up after I did the pads. It was firm before. The ABS light comes on at start up and turns off, as it always has. I have no warning lights during operation. All seems to be working as it should. Why would it feel like this? Thanks

Old 10-09-2012, 04:24 PM
broggyr
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would strongly recommend flushing out all the old brake fluid. It's amazing how much better your braking system will feel with new fluid, especially on a 6-year-old truck. My motorcycle can't go 2 years without me replacing the brake fluid lol

Last edited by broggyr; 10-09-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-09-2012, 04:54 PM
loflyer2
Professional

Yep, I recommend a fluid flush also. You may have water somewhere in the line and it is compressing.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:18 PM
p38251
Record Breaker

Did you turn the rotors? New pads on none turned rotors will glaze the new pads, and will not stop as good as it should. Agree Brake fluid flush would be good too.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:45 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Your "pedalometer" may improve as the new pads seat into the old rotors, but also what the guys mentioned above, changing out the old fluid can really help preserve the system long term, plus it helps on the pedal softness too

Old 10-09-2012, 11:33 PM
austinbest
Amateur

When you push the pistons in, it is possible to take air into the brake system. It is why most brake changes come with a bleed to ensure air is pushed back out. From the sound of it, it leans to air in the lines. A simple bleed may help, but an overall change is also healthy.

Old 10-10-2012, 03:28 AM
abarmby
Champion

What the guys said above, with a big plus on the brakes need to bed in. There should be some instructions and procedures with the new pads on how the manufacturer wants them to be beded in. Usually this revolves around several up to 30 mph stops with gradual easy braking. Then several up to 50 mph with the same. Then gentle braking if possible without emergency stops and long hill decents producing lots of heat, for the next 300 miles or so.
I've also read that before you push the pads in on a brake job, to loosen the bleeder and let some fluid out under pressure. Then tighten it back up.
This stops any dirt that might have got into the system from blocking up the calipers.
Hope this helps?
Al.

Quick Reply: 2006 1500 soft brake pedal after service