3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trinity confusion

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 PM
~JDL~
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trinity confusion

I installed the trinity 87 octane performance tune in my 08 Dodge Ram hemi. I really enjoyed everything but the fuel mileage decline. It was big enough to notice right way. So i reset everything back to stock, well my gas mileage has not gone back to my stock baseline. Was wondering as to why this would not have gone back?

Old 10-26-2012, 03:20 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how long ago did you reset it back? from 87 octane?

It is possible that the computer will have to relearn the engine dynamics before you will see the original mileage. You might load the economy tune to see if that is any better, but you will also notice a bit of dogginess (if that really a word) in the butt dyno response

Old 10-27-2012, 03:51 AM
~JDL~

Its been about 2 weeks since I switched it back to stock. Is it normal to see a decline in MPG in the 87 octane performance tune? Im new to all of this

Old 10-27-2012, 07:22 AM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

Yes,
I have a Diablo model previous to the Trinity, I had the same thing. The 87 tune is somewhat more aggressive than the stock tune-----hence the fuel input is greater, and it does take a while to dial into your driving style to settle out on the relearn. If you're looking for greater mpg, the tune will help-----some, but there are mods that can be done that work a lot better then just a tuner. The tuner is probably the best consumer aftermarket way to fine tune the more aggressive things that can be done.

Bottom line-----its a heavy truck, it has a higher output engine

Old 10-27-2012, 07:36 AM
~JDL~

what would you say are best to install before the tuner? I already have a volant CAI with a cut Airaid MIT right to the throttle body

Old 10-27-2012, 11:32 AM
mjfikac

Something else to think about is the type of fuel you are running now. With temps getting colder, winter fuel is being added to the mix, and that will cause a drop in mileage. Colder air is also denser air, and it will require more fuel to burn efficiently.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:41 PM
Gone Fishin
Record Breaker

What mjfikac says is true, but loosing parasitic loss frees up horsepower, which alternately
can help on mpg too. One of the first is to pitch the pulley driven fan and go electric, another real helper is opening up the exhaust, the stock stuff is very restrictive------there's tons of info on here, do a search----- some of the guys have indicated that they have increased they mpg by actually burning premium gas, while more expensive, was able to offset the cost enough to justify using it.
These are just a few ideas----more guys will chime in I'm sure

Old 10-28-2012, 05:39 PM
~JDL~

thnx for the reply guys and the great advise. Im looking into getting an e fan and waiting to get my exhaust installed

Quick Reply: Trinity confusion