3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

03 Ram 5.7 problems!

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2012, 11:24 PM
rcraig
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 Ram 5.7 problems!

I have an 03 1500 Quad cab 1500 with 156k miles on it. Purchased used a few weeks ago. When I bought it, it was running good with no CEL or problems after multiple test drives. Within a couple of days of purchase the ETC light started coming on and engine running rough. Kill the engine and restart and it was good for little while. After reading on the forum, I decided to clean the throttle body. I cleaned it carefully with Seafoam Deep Creep and non-chlorinated brake cleaner. Immediately after doing this the engine instantly started surging on idle and the CEL came on and stayed on. I have checked the codes by turning the key and the codes I am gettin are P0171, P2108, P2173 and P2106 all in that order. I carried it to a mechaninc with 30 plus yrs experience and was thinking I had a vacuum leak. He hooked it up to the computer, ran diagnostics and it said to replace the PCM. I found a used one and replaced it. I am still having the same issues as before. The local Dodge dealer says for $70 they will hook it up and look at it and tell me what's wrong with it. I really don't want to take it to the stealorship, but I will if I have to. The only thing I know of that I for sure need to replace is the crankcase exhaust hose. The one that is on there is soft as a marshmellow. Only thing is the hose is a dealor only part and is on back order. I have tried other hoses but can't make the turns. I plan on taking it to the stealorship on Tuesday if I can't come up with something else. Does anyone have any suggestion on what I might could check prior to doing that? Thanks in advance for any and all help!!! This is a great forum!!

Old 11-05-2012, 03:05 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Have you read into what the codes mean?
The 171 is a Lean Condition
all the others are to do with your Throttle Acuator.

I found everything form a large leak, to the IAT groumet is bad or damaged.
Start the truck and with some break cleaner or carb spray, spray some around the intake(being sure to not directly spray anything electrical) listen for a increased rev in the motor. Then you found your leak

Old 11-05-2012, 03:15 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look at this guy stealing my brake cleaner method.... lol

when you find the leak you'll get a sputter and the truck will surge the revs to prevent a stall... unless its a BIG leak then it will just stall... lol

Old 11-07-2012, 11:19 AM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Hey you cant mess with what works.!
Ive learned alot from you guys. Spreading the word

Old 11-08-2012, 05:26 AM
rcraig

Well, work has gotten in the way of working on the truck. I'm not a mechanic, but I'll give it a try, so this is probably going to sound really stupid... After taking off the plastic throttle body cover, where all do I need to spray the carb cleaner? Around all the hoses? Around the throttle body? I should have some time soon to take a look at it. Also, I replace the IAT, I forgot to mention that... I figured for $10 it would give me peace of mind and could have been a cheap fix. Could the mushy crankcase vent hose be a part of the problem?

Old 11-08-2012, 01:09 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yes it could be the mushy crankcase vent hose.. or even the PCV valve it's hooked up to.

Old 11-08-2012, 02:30 PM
willdikem66
Record Breaker

Also spray it along the sides of the intake manifold.

Old 11-21-2012, 11:05 PM
rcraig

I ended up trying the break cleaner method and never could find the cause. Ended up taking it to a dealership. Long story, short... They found that the intake manifold was cracked and it needed a new MAP sensor. I had read about others having that problem as well on here. Not being that mechanically inclined, I wasn't willing to undertake swapping that out. But I'm glad that I had read that it was a known issue with some and didnt't get screwed. Now, I just have to take the time to chase down the problem with the driver side brake light... It's either loose or something the lamp off light is randomly coming on and going off... But the brake light works occasionally... Any way, thanks guys for the suggestions and the help! Hopefully i wont have any more issues with the truck, but if I do I know where I will go first! AWESOME FORUM!!!!!

Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 AM
ewing111
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

glad you got it worked out. Post up some pictures of your truck!

Quick Reply: 03 Ram 5.7 problems!