3rd Gen Ram Tech 2002-2008 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 2002 through 2008 Rams Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Ball joint and tie-rod replacing

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 01:08 PM
fatality804
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ball joint and tie-rod replacing

My truck needs to get its ball joints and tie-rod end replaced. I'm looking at doing this myself and was wondering what brand I should go with for these? Been seeing MOOG, Raybestos, and Maverick I believe. I've done some research and saw mixed views on MOOG about their product quality went down? Not sure if it's true or not. So was wondering what brand you guys would go with, or if you have done this job what did you use and what's your input?

Old 11-19-2012, 01:41 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with whichever has the better warranty for MFG defects....

Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM
loflyer2
Professional

My MOOG tie rods are high quality. I particularly like that they are greaseable.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:26 PM
Brandon Anderson
All Star

Originally Posted by loflyer2
My MOOG tie rods are high quality. I particularly like that they are greaseable.
This.

I plan on replacing upper ball joints and outer tie rod ends very soon, and I've chosen MOOG because they are serviceable. The OEM units likely wouldn't be so terrible if they had grease fittings, but they are sealed. Less periodic maintenance sure, but they are designed to fail.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:10 PM
weedahoe
Hall Of Fame
Hall of Fame Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I bought some off ebay some time back. They were the exact same number of the Moog but under a different name. They are service-able and have been great.

Old 11-20-2012, 12:15 PM
fatality804

Ok cool going with MOOG, I can afford it it's like the middle price out of those three brands. The Maverick was cheapest, then MOOG and then Raybestos was highest but only $9 more then MOOG. I can afford both I just know you hear "you get what you pay for" but I always knew MOOG was good and never heard of Raybestos, and when I did review a lot of people had mixed reviews on both brands. But I did like how MOOG you can grease it always.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:19 PM
Izero
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Raybestos makes some nice brake components, but never tried anything else from them....

Old 11-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Coupster

You can get XRF ball joints and tie rods that are guaranteed for a million miles, which means you won't ever pay for another set. And the pricing is less than Moog for what I think is a superior product.

Quick Reply: Ball joint and tie-rod replacing